Widgets

Scig Sauce


I'm not sure how much pinterest traffic I am going to get from something called "Scig Sauce" - but that's what this is.  

Growing up everyone in my house was referred to (by our friends, respectively) as "Scigs" or "Scig."  It's part of our long, Italian, last name.  This is the sauce that could be found simmering... in our house then... or in our houses now.  It has changed some - but I promise it won't disappoint!!


For best results you will need some "secret Italian spice."  This... sorry... but you can't get just anywhere... and I'm almost out.  When we were on our honeymoon in Italy, my husband and I bought spices everywhere... and add a small bit to sauce when we make it... seems like another trip is in order because we are almost out!!  Perhaps I could find something online... 



On to the recipe...

Scig Sauce
We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients
Olive oil
1 small onion
2-3 carrots, peeled
2-3 celery stalks
5+ cloves of garlic
1 can of tomato paste
1 tsp of secret spice mix
1 tbs+ more of basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 cup of red wine
8 tomatoes
48 oz of tomato puree or strained tomatoes

Salt & Pepper
Sautee chopped onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in olive oil.  Add salt, pepper and secret spice mix. 

When veggies are almost soft, add tomato paste (a whole small can of it).  Fry tomato paste until it starts to stick to the pan.  Deglaze pan with wine and sir until the mixture becomes saucy.

Add tomatoes, puree, and the rest of the spices.

Cook.  The longer you cook it, the better it is!

If you’re into meat… add some meatballs and cook all day J

Serve over pasta, polenta, on pizza, or anywhere else you would enjoy marinara sauce! If I am using it for pizza I typically would add oregano… otherwise I leave it out.  That is a pizza only spice!


Enjoy!



___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3

1 comment:

Lucy T said...

It does sound like another trip is in order!! Looks super yummy. Pinned.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...