Widgets

EASY Crockpot Applesauce

Fall.

In New England.

You can't beat it.

Apples, pumpkins, hayrides, pretty leaves, surround you.

I.love.it.

We apple picked for the first time this season this week.  It was glorious - we literally stood at 1 tree and picked 30 lbs of apples.  I can't wait to go back next week!

15 of the apples this week - got made into applesauce.  I thought I would share my easy recipe.  I have no patience for a sieve, skinning, or anything of the like.  This recipe takes about 10 minutes to prep and 2 minutes to blend.  The crockpot cooking takes the longest... but you don't have to stick around for that.  

*Note - I don't do sugar in my sauce.  I know some people do... I don't.  I love the tart, sweet, apple with fall spices alone.  Feel free to add in your fave fall spices and some sugar if it suits your fancy.




EASY Crockpot Applesauce
We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients
15 Apples of your choice – I used about half gala and half macintosh  

2 cups(ish) of water (I “measured” in a coffee cup… it needs to cover the bottom of the crockpot)

3 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
Cut and core your apples.  I cut them in half, in half again, and then on an angle cut out the core of each quarter.  Then cut each quarter in a few pieces.  I leave the skins on because they are delicious and they get nice and soft in the crockpot.

Cover the bottom of your crockpot with about 1/2 to 1 inch of water and put on high (or low, depending on how long you want it to take).   Put apples on top of the water.  The more water you put in the thinner and smoother your puree will be at the end. 

Add spices and mix up.

Cook.

Cook longer.

How long the apples cook depends on your crockpot.  No matter how I set mine, anything I cook, including a whole chicken, takes no more than 4 hours… I doubt this is the case with your, higher quality crockpot J

When apples are soft – use your immersion blender to puree.  This makes a very smooth puree – if you don’t like it like that – feel free to mash, sieve, etc… this is just faster and I like applesauce smooth.

I then jarred and canned the applesauce in 5 - 1.5 cup jars. It was the perfect amount (with a small bowl for me to eat on the side).




___________________________________________________________




___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3

7 comments:

Sarah Whiteman said...

Yum! I do the crock pot too, but leave the skins on and use the foley food mill. It is less work in the beginning and gives me a pink applesauce. I also do 1.5 bushels at a time, so I start with water (my crock and my mom's) and use a slotted spoon to remove the apples, mill into a big pot, add more apples to the crocks...the liquid gets sweeter and more intensely apple-y as you go. Then I save the liquid (syrup at that point!) in a jar in the fridge to put on my oatmeal with brown sugar. Heaven! If you do a large amount I highly recommend it. :) So happy fall is here!

jviola79 said...

I am so glad that you shared this. I never would have thought to do applesauce in my crockpot. Just yesterday, my daughter-in-law asked me how to make applesauce. I just forwarded this to her as well. So glad I was your neighbor at The Modest Mom. Am definitely going to do this...
Have a great Monday,
Joanne

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I love leaving the skins on :) I am not sure I could organize two crockpots at the same time... but I was impressed with doing 5 jars haha.

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks for sharing! I hope she likes it :) we had it for dessert tonight :)

Nancy Smith said...

If I don't can it, do you have any suggestions for how best to freeze it? Thanks!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I have cooled it and then put it in freezer bags. Lay them flat (on top of a piece of cardboard or something) to freeze and then they take up minimal freezer space!

Anonymous said...

how long does it last?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...