Widgets

#RealLife

Welp. 

That's it.

My 16 month summer vacation is over.

It included beaches, snowmen, cuddles, movies, books, blocks, crafts, letters, numbers, walks, playgrounds, zoos, farms, preschool, gardening, grandparents, cousins, mama friends, a new non-profit, old friends, new friendships, broken friendships, cooking, blogging.

I will miss my days filled with my boys, mud, sand, and silliness.

But.  I am happy to return to work.  Am I filled with a little guilt and sadness? Sure... but a teacher is part of my identity.  It is part of who I am.

I look forward to meeting my extended family, my colleagues, my new 'kids.'  That's what we call them 'our kids.'  I know we borrow them for only a few hours a day, but we love them, care about them, and want the best for them.  They are what I love most about teaching.  They are what keeps me going back.  

My rooms (we have two) are set up, my copies are made, my calendar displayed, my plans written, my class lists printed. 


The list of things I love about working in school is long.  What I am highlighting here just the tippy top of it. 

Loving lots of kids.  Getting to know them.  Learning from them.  Teaching them.  

Our specific kids.  The ones at my school.  I help run Freshman Orientation for the 9th grade.  It is led by a group of 150 upperclassmen - who love.our.school.  They paint themselves, deck out in maroon and gold, come to school a week early, skip their sports try-outs for a few days, and tour the 9th grade around.  They run a dance, to which they can't bring their significant (or insignificant as it applies) others, for the 9th grade and dance it up, do the school cheer, and make the 'new kids' feel at home.  They line the sidewalk as they arrive and cheer, sing, high five, every.single.one.  

Team Teaching.  I teach a humanities class - Freshman English+Freshman Social Studies - with the best English teacher.  We are quite a pair - and I can't wait to get back in the classroom with her.

Starting over.  Every year, month, week, and day, I get to start my job over.  Do it differently.  Do it better.  If I learn something new, better, cutting edge, about teaching... I can implement it almost immediately.  I model that I am learning to the kids - it's no secret here that we are going to be trying new things.

Learning.  I love learning with our kids.  Because I teach a double class, with an English teacher, I get to really take English class with our class.  I read the books, ask questions, take the quizzes and tests and do the homework.  My co-teacher does the same for Social Studies.  The kids love that we don't know everything, that we have questions, that we are still learning.  

The building.  We have the best school.  The.end.

It keeps me young.  There is something about being surrounded by teenagers that keeps you on your toes.  Young.  Current.  I might have the oldest phone in the building, but I know what crazy new technology teenagers are using... what movies they're into, what books they're reading, what songs they're singing.  Face it... there are people my age that are still debating their 'top 8' because they still think myspace is current.  High school teachers don't have that issue :)

Just being in school.  There is just something about being in school, in a classroom, surrounded by learning, books, technology, teachers, notebooks, pens, markers, and whiteboards that I love.  I always have.  This is my #RealLife.

I hope to be here too, blogging, cooking, organic living... but if I'm not - you know where to find me <3



___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3







3 comments:

Christina Ventura-Dipersia said...

Absolutely love this post. I know that it's definitely bittersweet but teaching is so amazing. We teach different ages kinda (you teach high school, I teach students in their late teens in college), but the feeling of enjoying your work but missing your kiddies <3 I totally get it :)

http://sweepsgoround.blogspot.com

Kate Norris said...

Happy Back to School!!! I was a teacher when we lived in the states, but since moving to Canada I can't work right now :( I do volunteer in the classroom, but there is nothing like teaching. Have a great year!!!

Honey said...

I am so glad my kids will get to be your kids one day! They are REALLY lucky. #dontfreakingretireforatleasttwentyyears

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...