Widgets

{Gluten Free} Strawberry Shortcake & Homemade Whipped Cream

It's STRAWBERRY season!!!



I love picking strawberries (ok any berry... ok any fruit... or vegetable... fine ANYTHING) - but strawberries specifically because they come first.  It tells us it's spring, the summer produce is coming, and they taste better than any fruit ever purchased at the grocery store, even Weggies.

So... last week - the Strawberry Patch at Tougas was open for the first time.  Obvi we had to go immediately and pick 9 pounds of berries.

<note... the kids are NO help... one spent the whole time eating green strawberries, the other spent the whole time stuffing his face while telling me which strawberries to pick, evaluating the ones I did pick, and scolding the other one for eating the green ones... I'll let you guess who did what>

In any case strawberry picking is like a race.  I have to pick as many strawberries as possible before my kids escape to another isle, stomp on the plants, or make themselves sick because they are full of berries.  All in all it was a fab time... and we have been eating strawberry shortcake everyday since.

<note #2... my husband has hated most of this gluten free journey, he didn't notice the shortcakes were gluten free... he thought they tasted great>

For the shortcake I used this recipe:
Shortcake Recipe
It was perfect.  I made it in a mini-muffin tin - the size is much more manageable for the kiddos.  I didn't sugar the strawberries at all - no need - they are sweeter than candy.  I cut them thinly up.  

For the whipped cream:
1 cup of whipping cream
2 tsp of granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Whip cream until there are soft peaks.  Add sugar and vanilla, whip until stiff peaks (but not too much longer or you'll get butter... very sweet vanilla butter haha).  The whole process takes less than 5 minutes and is far more delicious than anything from a container!! I promise.  

<note... WHY do people eat cool whip?  Does it taste like fresh whipped cream? do you know what it is made of!?!?!? If you dare - check it out here: You Don't Even Want to Know What's in Cool Whip>

I sliced the shortcakes, layered some cream and strawberries - and tada!!!! Yum.




___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3


6 comments:

Jackie Kocurek said...

Love the pics! Recipes looks yummy too! Thanks for posting on the Tried and True Recipe Party! http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/06/tried-and-true-recipes-16.html

anyonita green said...

I LOVE homemade whipped cream! It's one of my favorite things to make; so easy to flavor it too! Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

Jess said...

Ok, so at first - I was totally jealous that you could take your little ones to a strawberry patch and have them help you pick strawberries. But then I read your "note" and I was sitting here cracking up. I guess kids are kids - that's what makes them so awesome. :) Thank you for sharing this recipe at Tasty Tuesdays, it looks great and I am pinning right now.

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I can't stop making it...

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...