So... since we were little, my dad has taken my sister and me to the Flea Market on Sunday mornings. We got up early, stopped for coffee and hot chocolate, and we were off. Sometimes we drove to a small flea market 15 minutes away, but the best Sundays were the ones when we drove an hour to the New Milford Flea Market. It was my favorite one.
Honestly, we didn't really buy anything. The time at the flea market was more about quiet togetherness with my dad, than it was about shopping. Every now and then we picked up an old Nancy Drew book, or flowers for my mom, or a little toy or something, but most Sundays it was just about the quiet walk, early in the morning before anyone else was really there. Lots of times the vendors hadn't even taken the tarps off of their tables yet!
Flash forward to Toppah's grand kids - it is one of their FAVORITE things to do. Me, Toppah, and whichever boys are up, get into the biggest car at my parents' house, load up a stroller, carrier, or two, and head out before 7 to get to the flea market. We pick up snacks and juice boxes on the way, and then walk and walk around the flea market.
The boys get the idea - we don't really buy anything - but they love looking at the old tractors, cars, toys, and books.
I however - have started to purchase things - I hide them from the kids... here are my top 5 fave flea market finds:
- Old books. Love em. I don't pay any more than $1 though.
- Old magazines. Love em. I bring them to school, the kids love checking out the old advertisements and using the articles for sources.
- Glasses and pottery. I don't buy it often - but the old glassware is so so beautiful.
- Furniture. Again, I don't buy it often - but i really wish I had furnished my house with unique stuff from the flea market.
- Fresh baked goods and produce. Yum! There is this lady at the New Milford Flea Market - right by the entrance - that shouts - "Homemade Bakery" over and over again. We love her.
This might not seem like a glamorous tradition - but it is one that I hope my kiddos and nephews treasure as much as I do. It's one of my favorite memories :)
I share my posts here. It's an awesome list. Check it out. Seriously. It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out! It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3