Widgets

Fleas & Markets


So... since we were little, my dad has taken my sister and me to the Flea Market on Sunday mornings.  We got up early, stopped for coffee and hot chocolate, and we were off.  Sometimes we drove to a small flea market 15 minutes away, but the best Sundays were the ones when we drove an hour to the New Milford Flea Market.  It was my favorite one.  

Honestly, we didn't really buy anything.  The time at the flea market was more about quiet togetherness with my dad, than it was about shopping.  Every now and then we picked up an old Nancy Drew book, or flowers for my mom, or a little toy or something, but most Sundays it was just about the quiet walk, early in the morning before anyone else was really there.  Lots of times the vendors hadn't even taken the tarps off of their tables yet! 

Flash forward to Toppah's grand kids - it is one of their FAVORITE things to do.  Me, Toppah, and whichever boys are up, get into the biggest car at my parents' house, load up a stroller, carrier, or two, and head out before 7 to get to the flea market.  We pick up snacks and juice boxes on the way, and then walk and walk around the flea market.  

The boys get the idea - we don't really buy anything - but they love looking at the old tractors, cars, toys, and books.  

I however - have started to purchase things - I hide them from the kids... here are my top 5 fave flea market finds:
  1. Old books.  Love em.  I don't pay any more than $1 though.
  2. Old magazines.  Love em.  I bring them to school, the kids love checking out the old advertisements and using the articles for sources.
  3. Glasses and pottery.  I don't buy it often - but the old glassware is so so beautiful.
  4. Furniture.  Again, I don't buy it often - but i really wish I had furnished my house with unique stuff from the flea market.
  5. Fresh baked goods and produce.  Yum!  There is this lady at the New Milford Flea Market - right by the entrance - that shouts - "Homemade Bakery" over and over again.  We love her.

This might not seem like a glamorous tradition - but it is one that I hope my kiddos and nephews treasure as much as I do.  It's one of my favorite memories :)


___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3

12 comments:

Lena Voth said...

What a fabulous tradition!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks <3

Kristen (Smithspirations) said...

I love finding old books, too! Old hymnals are some of my favorites. My husband will never go to a flea market or antique store with me, though, and I'd have to be careful what I would bring home. He doesn't quite share my love for the aged!

Linda Bouffard said...

I love flea markets also. Some are better than others. We have one in Connecticut every Sunday but it's mostly new stuff. Come over and share at What to do Weekends party! We'd love to have you. Linda

http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/06/what-to-do-weekends-party-23.html

momstheword said...

Oh how fun! Looks like you had a blast. When I was a kid my dad would take us to the car races on Saturday, or maybe it was Sunday, I don't remember what day. I loved it, lol! Thanks for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday!"

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Agreed. I'm always on the mad hunt for old books. Even with the onslaught of e-books and what not...there's something so romantic about used books. I love finding troves of kids' books from the 1980s.

We featured you today at Our Sunday Best features round-up and have pinned your to our collaborative board!

<3
Nicolette

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama said...

This sounds like such a fun tradition! I also have fond memories of visiting flea markets as a child. :-)

Thanks for linking up at The Tuesday Baby Link Up!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Oh my gosh one of my favorites is a hymnal from the 1800s - it's up on my mantel :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks for the invite! I will add it to my list :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thank for hosting :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

You're the best!! :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...