Widgets

Bacon Wrapped, Mushroom Smothered, Surf & Turf


WARNING - this is not a vegetarian friendly meal... this meal includes meat even in the veggies :) 

I am not a huge fan of steak.  Growing up - my sister, cousins and I called it 'long meat' because it took a long time to chew... turns out everyone we knew overcooked it.  Now, cooking it rare/medium - it is a little better - I still don't love it.

My husband does.

My children do.

So... for Father's Day (or three days before because we weren't going to see each other on the actual day) - I made some of my husband's favorite things.

My husband, although he doesn't show up on the blog much, is supportive of my every cooking, lifestyle, and shopping whim.  He works tirelessly to support my family.  Not only is he a chemist, a plant director and a manager in his company - he also fixes our cars in the garage, builds me planting beds, keeps organic grass, totally refinished the floors in our house, takes care of the plumbing and water, and pretty much anything else I ask him to do (or my parents ask him to do... or my grandmother asks him to do...).

He's amazing.

So... he deserves an awesome dinner now and again - even if I don't love the materials.  In defense though - this dinner was delicious :)

<Note: you may have noticed I rarely put times and temperatures in my recipes... it's because I have no idea... I cook by feel.  When I touch the steak and it springs back a certain way - I know it's medium... I don't put thermometers in things, I don't set the timer, I cook through taste and feel... if that doesn't work for you... my recipes might not either>

Bacon Wrapped, Mushroom Smothered, Surf & Turf
We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients when possible.
Turf-
Steak/Bacon.  I’m not great with cuts… they were round and about 1/2 a pound each.  They had very little fat.  It was organic and grass fed.  I used apple wood smoked organic bacon.

Marinade:
2 tbs apple cider vinegar (you could use something other than Bragg – it just won’t be as good)
2 tbs white balsamic vinegar
4 tbs olive oil
Dash of Worcestershire sauce (or a few – depending on how you feel about it)
2 tbs stoneground mustard
1 tsp chopped (fresh from the garden) rosemary
2 tbs chopped (fresh from the garden) parsley

Surf-
Shrimp:
I found organic (EU certified) shrimp.  1/2 pound (depending on the size of the shrimp).  Cleaned, deveined, and butterflied

Breading:
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
3 tbs butter melted
1/4 cup of pecorino cheese
Salt and pepper

Mushrooms:
1 container of the mushrooms of your choice (we used half baby bella, half shitake)
4 tbs butter
1/4 cup white wine
Salt


Ok. Lots of things to do.

Mix up your marinade.  Dump your steak into it.  Cover it and put it in your fridge for at least an hour (more is fine).  Take it out 1/2 an hour before you cook it so it can warm up a bit.


 Clean your shrimp.  Mix up the breading for it.  Put them in a baking dish, top with the breading, and bake in the oven until they are firm and pink and your breading is getting toasty.  Maybe 15 minutes at 350 (check though) – the size and amount of your shrimp makes a difference.

Turn on your grill.

Take your steaks out of the marinade and wrap them up in bacon.  I used 2 pieces per steak.  Dump the rest of the marinade over the top and leave it while you make your mushrooms.

Put the butter in a frying pan.  Slice up your mushrooms and sauté on medium/high heat.  Deglaze the pan when mushrooms are brown with wine.  Cook for a minute or two until the wine bubbles away.  Set aside.

Grill your steaks (with the bacon on them).  Cooking time will vary – depending on how you like your steak done.  I take the steaks off right before I think they are done (and I determine that by a very scientific method of poking them and feeling how firm they are) and let them rest for about 15 minutes.

When your steak has rested – smother with shrimp and mushrooms.  Enjoy!

We had ours with watercress caprese salad (fresh from the garden), Brussels sprouts (with more bacon), and roasted fingerling potatoes.  It was a big hit!






___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3


5 comments:

Megan. OneFifteenDanville. said...

omg. mouth watering.

heidi said...

Wow, it looks fantastic! I bet it tasted wonderful. Can I come for dinner the next time you make it?

Heidi’s Wanderings

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

It was good :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

sure! there is always enough for guests :)

momstheword said...

Oh I LOVE steak, lol! So I'll eat yours for you, haha! When I first glanced at your title I thought it read "Bacon Wrapped Smoothie" and I was like, whaaaaat? Thanks for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...