Widgets

Elderberry Ice Pops



#thatscrunchy

I know right?!  Who would have thought it?! Not me :)

So out there in the crunchy community elderberry is something of a cure-all.  

And boy.  Could we use some curing this week!! 

We have been a hot mess of a family.

Hot hot mess. 

We have been to the doctor THREE times.  

Everyone is feeling miserable (except for of course my husband who was sick for about 30 minutes - he has the immunity of... whatever has great immunity).

So... I recalled hearing about people in crunchyville selling elderberry syrup/potion/hocus pocus, etc.  I didn't want to spend tons of $$ on something someone else made... so naturally I went to Wegmans and found they they sell a big jar of concentrated elderberry there!  

Score.

Truth.  It has some other fruit juice concentrates in it too - ideal? No.  Terrible? No.  I figure if it is magic, I will find some organic pure stuff online - but for now, for a trial, good stuff.

There are lots of instructions for making syrup, drinks, etc... but it's nice and warm - and I want to get my kiddos outside after nap so here is what I made!  Here is some more info on elderberry goodness! 


Elderberry Icepops
We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients
1 cup of water

2 tbs of elderberry concentrate
1 tbs of raw, local honey

1 kiwi
Handful of blueberries
Handful of raspberries
Mix water, elderberry, and honey well (I put it in a jar and shook it up to make sure the honey and elderberry were mixed in).

Put cut up fruit into ice pop molds.

Dump elderberry mix into ice pop molds.

It filled 4 molds and was DELICIOUS!

YUM!!

Hopefully it will have us feeling better soon too :)

On an unrelated note... it totallyyyyy stains.




___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3

16 comments:

Jills Home Remedies said...

What a fun way to consume elderberry - thanks for sharing! :)

Lucy said...

We rely heavily on elderberry to get us through the winter months. AND I make smoothie pops just about every day. But I never thought of combining the two. Especially with raw honey--so healing! What a genius idea.

Mums make lists said...

These look fab - am determined to go elderberry picking this year, Alice x

Betty @ Home Educator Mom said...

They look so delicious. Perfect for hot summer days. Pinned it already. Looking forward to making them for my kiddos. Thanks for sharing this and linking up with my over at Home Educator Mom.

Linda Bouffard said...

Yes, you are right about the elderberry being a medicinal thing. What a nice way to get better. My sister, Carol, uses the elderberry extract when she has a cold. Thanks so much. My sister and I would love to have you link this to What to do Weekends Party on our blog also. I'm following on Facebook, Pinterest, and Bloglovin, too. Oh, did I mention I PINNED this? :) Linda

http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/05/what-to-do-weekends-18.html

Lorie said...

Those look refreshing!!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Yay! Glad you like it!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

<3

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks for pinning!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

<3

Alison Bayne said...

This is totally new to me, not sure the elderberry message has reached the UK yet! But this looks perfect for us to try this summer (if it ever arrives). Best wishes from England and thanks for linking up at the Creative HomeAcre hop. See you next time http://mumtopia.blogspot.com/2013/05/creative-home-acre-hop-co-hosting-2.html

Jerri Rivers said...

What a great treat! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week!

jowdjbrown said...

Everyone is feeling miserable (except for of course my husband who was sick for about 30 minutes - he has the immunity of... whatever has great immunity).gluten free ice pops

Simone said...

I would love to make this recipe. I'm looking on Amazon for Elderberry syrup...is this the same thing as Elderberry Extract?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...