Widgets

We deserve better too.

Let me start by saying I don't need an excuse to get lost at the grocery store.  I could arrive at Wegmans, be there four hours, and come home thinking I was gone 30 minutes.  Add a coffee to that - and you can comfortably add another hour.

With that said, I got a bit... distracted during a recent trip.

I usually shop around the outside of the store (veggies, meats, dairy... wine, sushi, you know - the essentials).  I also usually go to Wegmans when there is no one there, 6am on a Sunday.  

So... midday Saturday things are considerably more crowded.  I was 'sneaking' down an interior isle when I came upon a 'European' section.  I thought to myself... ooooo maybe something yummy and Italian lives here <read real nutella>?!  So I looked around and found a bunch of English stuff (no offense... just not what I was looking for).  I picked up a couple of cans and flipped them around to look at the ingredients... and was intrigued.  It seemed liked these (AMERICAN) imports (that have been exported, imported, exported, and imported again to get here) had semi-real ingredients.  No corn syrup either.

Now I HAD to compare...

<before you continue - you should know I am working with a phone that doesn't have the internet and perhaps has the very first camera phone ever - I will transcribe the ingredients from their respective websites after as there is NO way you can read them off my excellent pictures.>


Let's start with the soups shall we?!


Campbell’s Tomato Soup (USA)

Water, Tomato(es) Paste, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Salt, Spice(s) Extractive, Wheat Flour,Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid
Heinz Creamy Tomato Soup (UK)

Tomatoes (84%), Water, Vegetable Oil, Sugar, Modified Cornflour, Salt, Dried Skimmed Milk, Milk Proteins, Cream, Spice Extracts, Herb Extract, Citric Acid

Interesting isn't it? Lots of tomatoes in the non-US one.  A bit depressing that the US version is just tomato paste reconstituted no?

Let's move on to the Spaghettios.  Before I show you the lists... can you just for one second look at the FRONT of the can.  The marketing is making Spaghettios seem like you're basically eating vegetables right?!  

'Healthy Kids!'
'Low Fat'
'Vegetables for the Day!'

My goodness.


Spaghettios (USA)

Water, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Enriched Macaroni Product (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Contains Less than 2% of: Salt, Enzyme Modified Cheddar Cheese (Cheddar Cheese [Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes, Calcium Chloride], Water, Disodium Phosphate, Enzymes), Flavoring, Potassium Chloride, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Cottonseed, Canola and/or Soybean), Enzyme Modified Butter (Milk), Skim Milk, Paprika Extract, Citric Acid.
Spaghetti and Hoops (UK)

Tomatoes (47%), Spaghetti Hoops (42%, Water, Durum Wheat Semolina), Water, Sugar, Modified Cornflour, Salt, Citric Acid, Spice, Garlic Salt, Herb Extract, Spice Extract

Do I even need to write anything? 

Really Spahettios?!  
Really?!  
Good thing you guys have 'macaroni product.'  I was worried it was all just crap.

Ugh.  

What have I learned today?
1. DON'T go to Wegmans mid-day on a Saturday
2. DON'T walk through the center of the store
3. DON'T.ever.buy.spaghettios. 


___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3

14 comments:

Marti said...

That is interesting. What I wondered while reading this is why we don't have Heinz tomato soup here. Isn't Heinz an American company? Strange that the English version would list the ingredients as tomatoes and the American as tomato paste. I wonder if that is just a wording difference or if they really started with tomatoes on the English version.

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I wondered the same things! More investigating to come...

Emily said...

Have you seen what Food Babe is up to with regards to Kraft Mac & Cheese...similar situation. The English version is much healthier! Be sure to check it out!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Oh yes! I did their twitter party (she and 100 Days of Real Food) - where we for an hour tried to get Kraft's attention. I love BOTH of their blogs- such great info.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Wow! Scary, huh? One of the reasons I try to avoid a lot of canned food and stick to the real deal. Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d}!

Cropped Stories said...

Hey there! Here from the blog hop and am following you on Twitter and Pinterest :o) Hope you'll get the chance to visit and follow back. You can find me here:

Twitter
https://twitter.com/croppedstories

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/croppedstories/

This Woman Writes said...

Salty and sweet -- part of the problem may be our American demand for those two elements, in everything. No sour, spicy (have you ever met those people who think garlic bread is hot?), fermented -- different in any way. Just salty and sweet, and boring. Not surprising that we get a lesser product -- we've found that when we buy machinery and other products that are produced in both Europe and the U.S., the U.S. version is filled with bells and whistles that break, while the European version is simpler, with a motor that works. You're right. We deserve better.

Well written post, by the way -- short, snappy, kept my interest, humorous. Unusual in the world of blogdom.

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Sounds perfect for a nice summer evening.....Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com


Phil Holtberg said...

Canned foods are usually a big no no anyway, but it is scary how bad the American versions are. Loaded with fats, chemicals, and sugars. What has this country come to when it comes to nutrition?

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

No kidding!! We avoid it too (unless it is single ingredient stuff like beans and tomatoes). Thanks for hosting!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Heading your way!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks so much for the kind words :) glad you liked the post!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks for hosting.

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Agreed! The more I know... the less I eat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...