Widgets

Kale & Spinach Pesto

I think I can speak for everyone when I say, kale.is.gross.

It makes me gag.

Don't throw your - "make kale chips" and "saute it with garlic" at me.  

It.doesn't.work. because kale is gross.

Welp.

Imagine my surprise when I tasted a delicious pesto sample on bread this past weekend.

I was visiting my parents and the kids and I wanted to take a ride and do a little shopping for a family party my dad was hosting, so we headed to a cute, unique grocery store (if you're in Poughkeepsie, NY stop by Adams Fairacre Farm - you will like it because it is across the street from the only sbucks in 50 miles).

There were some lovely ladies, giving out samples of organic pesto on yummy bread.  I grabbed one as I was trying to keep two kids from running away - D was legit hanging from the carriage chain (that connects the carriage to other carriages with a lock - you have to detach with a quarter to use it... have you seen this?!  Obvi the people who invented it weren't trying to keep two kids safe in a parking lot!!!).

Now.  I am a sucker for marketing.

Be warned - if put something in a fancy/different package.  I.will.buy.it.

A yummy free sample? I.will.buy.it.

But not kale.

I bought the pesto before I even knew it was kale!!! 

We served it at my parents house on bread - and it was a big hit.

So... off to try and recreate it... 

I added spinach because we had a lot of it, and D loves spinach (because it "makes him huge" -- ok popeye).

It was SO good on fried polenta - but I would imagine it would be great on pasta too.  

If you are a kale h8r like me - TRY THIS!





Kale & Spinach Pesto
We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients
1 bag of washed kale (I bought a 10 oz one from Trader Joe’s)

2 cups of fresh spinach

2 HEADS of garlic (not cloves, heads)

1 cup of walnuts

1 cup of grated/shredded parmigiano reggiano cheese

1 cup(ish) of olive oil

Cut heads of garlic in half (horizontally).  Put on a cookie sheet (with sides) and drench in olive oil (be generous) at 400 degrees.

Saute kale and spinach with some olive oil (be generous).

As garlic is softening, when the sides just start to brown, add walnuts to the pan and continue roasting.

Take kale and spinach out of the pan just before they are cooked through (maybe 5-7 minutes) – they should still a bright green, and not totally soft/soggy.

When you start to smell the nuts toasting (just a couple of minutes) take the nuts and the garlic out.  Use tongs to hold garlic head halves upside down over the pan.  Squeeze – the garlic cloves kind of pop out.  You can help them out with a fork. 

Put spinach and kale, garlic and nuts, and cheese (along with the olive oil they cooked in) into food processor.  Process.



As you’re processing add a little more olive oil until everything becomes smooth, and a consistency you like.

Spread on bread, pasta, or like we did, fried polenta.


___________________________________________________________

I share my posts here.  It's an awesome list.  Check it out.  Seriously.  It's a great list and if you visit blog parties you are going to want to check them out!  It's up to date, organized by day, and the links all work <3






20 comments:

Cropped Stories said...

This sounds so yummy! Just wanted to say thanks for the follow back on Pinterest! Have a great day :o)

Bobbie Gustafson said...

I love making pesto. Thanks for sharing this! Yum.

saltedplates said...

Sounds great, I don't mind kale as long as it is in chips or raw but I can't stand cooked spinach. I just made some dip with the spinach I got in my csa but this would be a great alternative for next time. Thanks for sharing!

ellie pcreativegeekery said...

Ok that looks AMAZing. And you almost make it sound like even I could make it. ;) Yum yum yum! XO, e

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Wahoo! Love meeting new blogging friends :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Hope you enjoy!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

This tastes like neither spinach nor kale... just a salty cheesy topping :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

:) It is VERY easy to make!

Betty Taylor said...

Sound so good! I will follow you on Pinterest. Can't wait to try some of your recipes and start pinning them.

Betty Taylor said...

I couldn't get your Pinterest button to work so I couldn't follow you. I did pin the recipe.

Here is my blog. http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

It should work now :) thanks for the heads up! I am here: http://pinterest.com/scigs/

Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life said...

Mmmmmm...pinning this now! I love kale, but The Husband doesn't, so maybe given your aversion to kale this will fool him?! I'm visiting from 36th Avenue

mary_smith said...

We love kale and spinach so this is a great recipe. I'm stopping over from LHITS.
Have a great weekend!

Kristy Gardner said...

hello darling! i'm featuring this post on the Wednesday Fresh Foods monthly feature round up this week -hope to see you there! xo, kristy

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

So, I'm not a kale fan either! But this might work. I hope you'll come and share at Pinworthy Projects on Friday!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks! <3 I try to pin only stuff I make - or will make :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Yes!!! I seriously HATE it so much. Thanks for stopping by!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks for stopping by!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks so much for the feature!!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Adding you party to my list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...