Widgets

Why I Don't Stress about Sleep*



Let me start by saying this is something I'm probably definitely wrong about.  

With that said up front, there is absolutely NO feeling sorry for yourself, getting offended, angry, or annoyed.  NONE OF IT!


If you are likely to be any of those things stop reading right now, also please don't comment you big haters.  I warned you to leave so from here on out - only positive, you go girl, you're soooo right, comments.


Also you can save it about all the unsafe sleeping conditions my kids are in above in the fancy collage I made.  


Save it.


Good.


Here I go.


I just don't care about sleep that much.


I don't stress if the kids get too little of it or too much of it.


I don't stress if I get too little of it or too much of it.


I don't stress about "sleep training" or "self-soothing."  My kids don't "cry it out"... much (unless I'm showering, in the bathroom, or sleeping through their cries).


I don't search the internet for ways to make your baby sleep longer, or buy the formula that (allegedly) stops babies from crying (side note: really formula companies?  really?  that's a little low isn't it? trying to convince sleep deprived parents that there is some magic baby formula that STOPS babies from crying? really?! no duh.  they already invented it and it's called nyquil.  You're not supposed to give it to your kids.)


I don't get all worked up if our day starts at 3am.


I don't get all celebratory if it starts at 9am (because let's face it, it never does).


I try to be thankful for every waking AND sleeping moment.  *try*


Let's get to the reason for the post.


This morning the day started at 3:38am.


D was screaming in his bed, 

"WHY DO WE HAVE TO DRIVE OFF THE HIGHWAY INTO OUR BEDS?!" (x1,000).

<my son seems to have inherited my husband's nonsense sleep talking.  honestly it's hilarious - and when it's A I try to keep the conversation going as long as possible.  one time the two of them were arguing in the bathroom.  D was awake trying to go to the bathroom, A was yelling at him to stop "bugging him about his projects." D is 3, has no projects, and woke up to pee... let's celebrate it shall we dear?>


Anyway this morning, D would not be satisfied until everyone was awake.  


Baby awake, nursed, awake to play.


Daddy awake, alarm (which was set for 4am to go to work anyway) off, out to shovel.


Mommy awake, drinks coffee daddy put on.


D back to sleep - sucker.  Missed ALL the early morning fun he started!


Everyone else awake.


You know what... it just isn't that bad.


It's not.


What you're up early?  Smells like an early rest time this afternoon.


What you won't nap or rest?  Smells like an early bed time.


Go to bed late? (eh got nothing for this... they are still up early... see "up early").


Still not that bad.


Ever heard of movies and popcorn (organic, non-gmo, air popped)?  GREAT for days no one will do anything you want them to do.


Ever heard of an extra large coffee (me either until I had kids!)?


You can function.  


You will make it.


Get the heck over it.


There are days I am tired.  Certainly today when I have 4 boys under 4 for a 5 hours alone in my care on 3 hours of sleep, I will be tired.  But it just doesn't matter that much.


It seems like no matter how much OR little sleep I get OR don't get - I still survive.


I never heard of anyone DYING from too little sleep. <and if someone did - I don't want to hear about it Mistress Mary Quite Contrariers>


Now.


I have heard (a lot) of people complaining about too little sleep.  Complaining about the sleep they NEED, the sleep they CAN'T get for xreasons, the SLEEP the children they have are costing them.


But really?  What's the ABSOLUTE worst thing?


You're tired.


Whoa now.

TIRED?


That sounds terrible.


It's almost as terrible as... hungry, homeless, motherless, hurt, sick, sad, humorless, waterless (not a word), microwaveless, coffeeless, etc.


#firstworldproblems


It's not so terrible.


Honestly.



Considering trading your kids in?  No?  Ok.  So get over it.  That's all I'm saying. 

It's not THAT bad.



Maybe it's just that I'm tired.


(**disclaimer... One Organic Mama hasn't napped in 4 years, gets an average of 4 hours of sleep a night, and has thalaseemia which causes her to be more tired than you are.  Please don't take anything she says to heart.  She is freaking exhausted.)





___________________________________________________________

34 comments:

Breana said...

Lol *high five* I am a mom of 4 about to be 5 in 12 weeks. I don't think I've gotten a good night sleep in about 10 years & it's only going to get "worse" when baby arrives. But you're right... Who cares?! I control my attitude. Yesterday, we were all up at 6:15am to leave for a day of baseball. Part of me felt sorry for myself because I got less than 3 hours of sleep. But it ended up being a great day! Thanks for this!

laughwithusblog said...

Too funny! I feel the same way about a lot of things. Sugar for instance! =O

momstheword said...

I think you have a great attitude! I have to say that sleep was always important to me when they were growing up. I craved it, lol!

My kids were usually pretty good at sleeping through the night (once their bodies could go longer between nursings). I had one that would wake up and try to play when he was about a year old, but I just gently but firmly put him back down again, and eventually he learned that night time wasn't play time.

That same kid had "night terrors" when he was a preschooler which freaked us out a bit at first until we realized that he really wasn't awake. It was just weird to see him talking about nonsense at first.

Both my kids tried to wake up very early in the morning and so I made a rule that they couldn't come out of their rooms before 7:00 a.m. Of course, I had to teach them what 7 looked like on the clock. They were loud and noisy in their play, but at least I could exercise or do my quiet time or just lie in bed for a bit longer, lol! As I said, I loved my sleep! ;) Thanks so much for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today!

Jaimie said...

I treasure my sleep now, because I know as soon as I have children (whenever God chooses to bless my husband and me with them), sleep will be a thing of the past.

Eh. I'll live. :D

Thanks for this!

Carol OurSearsKitHome said...

This is a terrific post! I really appreciated it. BTW, my daughter is almost 21, so I am in the process of becoming more empty nested, and my day started around 4am.
I agree with your post, 100%. Refreshing! (except that I always worried about my daughter and hubby getting enough sleep)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I love that we can make our homes a positive place with our positive attitude!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

We can't control everything!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Certainly treasure sleep, grocery shopping alone, driving in a quiet car, sleeping in on the weekend... there is so much :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

:) thanks for your kind words!!

Mums make lists said...

Great post - although when the lights start flashing before my eyes, I really do think I NEED sleep :-)

Thanks so much for sharing at the Baby Shower, Alice x

Kai Shippee said...

Thank you for this, it was just the reminder I needed after being up most of the night with my little one. You can check out my blog (most of which was written at 3am) at www.kshippee.blogspot.com

Rosilind Jukic said...

Wish I could be so easy going about sleep. But I'm not. And I'm not sure it's going to change. I'm one of those moms that can be crazy without it. Which means I'm often pretty crazy. Great post! Made me jealous. Visiting from Moms the Word. Blessings from Croatia. Rosilind from A Little R & R: www.littlerandr.org

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

We haven't had any experience with night terrors... sleep walking and talking though... yes! :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Certainly we all need some sleep :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

<3 heading your way now!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I never said I wasn't crazy ;)

Lisa Lynn said...

Lol :) Thanks for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you this Sunday at:
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-7.html

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I'll be back :)

BeColorful said...

Well said. I agree with you. There will be more important things to stress about. Sleep is one of those things that nature can handle. :D
Thanks for sharing.
p

even one sparrow said...

I love, love, love, LOVE LOVE LOVE sleep. It's definitely a transition for me with little ones (we have a week and a half year old and a 21 month old). I think my body general just adjusts, but I'm getting worried about lack-of-sleep once my husband goes back to work. When I don't get sleep, it really affects my mood and I'm worried about how that will be reflected in my parenting skills. But I just have to take it day by day. I appreciate your post though; I haven't heard anyone give this perspective.

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama said...

Ha! Awesome post! I'm right there with you.

Thanks for linking up at The Tuesday Baby Link Up! Pinning to our board.

Christine Powell said...

Loved this, made me giggle, but yeah, I agree.

Featuring you on my Tuesday Baby Link-Up this week! :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Oh - don't get me wrong, I also love sleep haha - I just find that worrying about it doesn't help me feel any better OR get any more sleep. I try to 'accept the things I cannot change' :) Good luck!!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks <3

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks Christine! My favorite blog hop of the week by far! :)

galeema said...

Really encouraging :) Thank you.

www.allahswonder.wordpress.com

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks :) heading your way now!

Katie Wayland said...

What a wonderful way to look at this part of our lives as mommas. I too love sleep and was pretty obsessed with it when the girls were little. But constantly thinking about and calculating how much sleep you didn't get can really suck the fun out of the day. Try to be in the moment-and also try to get someone else to do the driving b/c you are pretty much impaired at this point!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

<3 thanks for the kind words! I just find that thinking about it - just makes it much worse :)

Elise Gilbreath said...

So um, any tips for this first time mom who would LOVE to have your attitude about sleep but just can't get over the exhaustion to do it? Brainwash me, please!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Ah I wish I could! I just always DID make it through the day, no matter how little sleep I got... so I just found it easier to stop trying to measure it and think about it! Good luck mama!!! It's a hard job <3

Blayne Burke said...

I love love love this! This is exactly how I am when it comes to sleep. We take one day at a time. A good night for me is only waking up once or twice for a brief nursing and then being able to hop back into bed for a few hours. I figure I will have plenty of time to sleep when I am old and my kids are grown. Then, I will most likely give anything in the world to be able to wake up in the middle of the night and hold my sweet baby again. (Oh goodness, now I'm in tears!) I think I shall go squeeze my 9 month old babe right now!

emilyjaneclark said...

love your refreshing take on this! You are right. we just get up, get dressed and get on with it!
Also often write in a state of exhaustion if you fancy a read.
http://emilyjaneclark.wordpress.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...