Widgets

Puddle Stomping and Playing Outside



My Organic Kids play outside.  A lot.  

It started with my oldest, we found a wonderful home daycare when I was working, that took the kids outside no matter what.

Snow, rain, shine, hot, cold.  It didn't matter, they got to play outside, hike in the woods, and learn from their surroundings.

Then we found Farm School, where they are outside - no matter the weather, to work on a farm.  He loves feeding the animals in the snow just as much as he does when it's warm out.  At school the kids are trusted to be safe outside, to explore, get dirty, climb trees... things that are certainly not accepted everywhere.  Explaining it just a few days ago, I was asked, "but why would you want them to do that?"

Why?

Because I think it is important to respect nature, to understand our food system, but most importantly to let kids be kids.

I think it's important to let kids learn how to playground problem solve, without adults butting in and trying to keep their feet dry.

I think it's important, crucial even, for children to be children, without adult imposed scheduling and structure so that they can explore and appreciate the world around them.

Also, D loves mud and puddles.

Actually, to say D loves mud and puddles is an understatement.

He seeks out puddles, mud, 'rivers', and explores anything remotely dirty.

He wants to play in the snow, melt it, drive trucks in it, dig in it, build in it, as if it were sand.

So here is where I confess...  no judging please.

I let him play outside... alone.

Hear me out.

I started feeling guilty that after E was born we didn't play outside as much.  I was tied to a nursing baby, trying to cook and maintain the house (what a joke...) and we weren't getting outside everyday.

I was feeling guilty that he used to be outside more at daycare than with me at home.

So. 

I let go.

And let him out the backdoor. 

What a fantastic thing for both of us.

Now ANYTIME he asks, "can I go outside to play" the answer is ALWAYS yes.

Now, there are some rules, boundaries, and I don't leave the rooms with windows to the backyard - but I can cook, nurse, clean, and play with E inside while D soaks up some sun (and inevitably some muddy water).

He tested the limits of where he is allowed to go once - and never again.

It is one of the best things I have done as a parent so far.  

Do you let your kids play outside "alone" and "unsupervised"?  When is the "right" age to allow it?  

Am I insane? 

If you agree with me - check out Free Range Kids - FB & book.  Reading the book freed me from MANY of the worries I had about children and the 'dangers' they face everyday.  Even if you don't agree with me... read it anyway.  I promise, it's worth it! 

Also - check out The Muddle Puddles Project.  They provide even more reasons to let your kids get muddy :)



Hop on over to these blogs where - if they are lucky - I'll share this :)     

10 comments:

momstheword said...

Yes, we let our children play outside alone. I don't really remember the specific age though. I know that he was allowed to play in the backyard at a younger ate than we allowed him to play in the front yard.

I also know that I was near the windows too. I know I didn't allow the eldest to play outside at age two though. Our backyard was not set up for that. I don't know if he was 3, 4, or 5 before I felt comfy. Too long ago, lol!

But his brother played outside as a preschooler with him. In the back, all fenced in and the dog to protect him! Again, I was near the windows.

Thanks for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today!

ashley shirley said...

Love your blog! We started letting Ashton out right at 3 years old. However we have some rules - stay in the backyard and no neighbors/friends allowed over. I can trust Ashton but can't trust anyone else. In fact we had a neighbor send his four year old out with Ashton unsupervised once. I had to send her home and her Dad was stunned that I wouldn't let her in our yard unsupervised!
I will say he is very mature and responsible. I don't know if I will let Ansley go out unsupervised at that age.

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks for hosting it! Glad I'm not alone in the 'unsupervised' outside playtime!!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks for visiting, Ashley! I totally agree - my house, my kids, my rules - it's hard to 'enforce' rules on another 4 year old :) All kids are different - I am not sure E will be as good outside as D either haha :)

Lisa Lynn said...

Your kids will grow up so much happier :) Thanks for sharing on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow at:
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-8.html

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

And dirtier :)

Mums make lists said...

We love puddles!

Thanks so much for linking up at the Friday Baby Shower Alice xxx

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Nothing that can't be washed up and dried out - yay for puddles!

AJ said...

I love your blog. Also, once my puddle stomper/animal lover turns three I am definitely sending her to the farm school. Which is over a year from now, but whatever. Thanks for your great posts!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

We LOVE farm school :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...