Widgets

Farm Fresh Omelet & The BIG Differences in Eggs


compare the colors of the yolksIn the FB circles in which I travel, there have been a few links and pictures like this one: The Difference between Farm Eggs and Factory Eggs.  The articles include a picture like this one (from the above link) that visually show the difference in color between different eggs (some are organic, some free range, some farm fresh).  They show you the difference in color that fresh eggs have.  I thought (before sharing the yummy omelet recipe E and I enjoyed) I would share with you the different labels eggs carry.

Farm Fresh: eggs come from a farm, know your farmer, and how your chickens are raised. You might see signs at the edge of the road "fresh eggs" - drive in!  Check them out.  My in-laws raise chickens (which is how they got their names 'grandma and tappah with the chickens' YUM!)  Our eggs usually come from the farm where D goes to preschool.  YUP.  He goes to preschool at a farm, outside, everyday.  He learns how to care for animals, plant and harvest food, and how our food comes from the farm to our table.  Check them out: Turn Back Time

Cage Free: chickens are not kept in cages.  There is no regulation however, on how many chickens are in any given area.  They still may be in close quarters and this label doesn't  require outside access. 

Free Range: chickens are allowed to roam in or outside a barn (this inclusion of the barn is a recent change).  In the United States there is no regulation for how many chickens are allowed in a certain amount of area, or if the chickens ever have to leave the inside of a barn.  They are not confined to cages, but may be packed in to the inside of a barn.  Sometimes they have outdoor access, but this is not regulated.

Organic: chickens are usually cage free but don't have to be.  They must be fed feed that is organic and do not receive vaccines or antibiotics.  Feed must be produced without the use of pesticides and GMOs.  Outdoor access is required - but the time is not regulated.

Vegetarian:  chickens are fed a vegetarian diet.  

Conventional Pasteurized Eggs: chickens are kept on factory farms.  95% of the eggs in the US are conventional.  Five to eight chickens are put in a 14inch cages.  There are lots of other nasty facts that I will spare you from, but essentially, because of their treatment, and the fact that they are forced to lay more eggs than they naturally would, AND the fact that their feed isn't so great, the eggs that they produce aren't as nutrient rich as they should be.  They are fed hormones and antibiotics to try to prevent infection and to increase egg production.  Pasteurized eggs are heated to 140 degrees for 3 minutes to kill bacteria (probably collected in their conditions). 

I am happy that we live close to many farms which allow us to eat farm fresh eggs most days (when we want them).  If you don't - think about your choices knowing the above information.  With that said - this recipe calls for Farm Fresh eggs because they TASTE different (better).  When we first started buying them... I was eating them everyday because they were SO good and tasted SO different from any eggs I had tasted before!


Farm Fresh Omelet
We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients when possible.
3 Farm Fresh Eggs
10 grape tomatoes, sliced
1 cup of frozen or fresh spinach (defrosted)
1/2 cup of melty cheese (we used swiss and gruyere)
1/4 cup of milk
1 tbs of butter


Melt butter in a non-stick skillet on medium heat.

Whisk eggs and milk together and dump into pan. 

DON’T TOUCH.

DON’T  TOUCH longer.

Just when you think you should touch it (when it is almost cooked through) add toppings on one side.

Leave another minute.

Tip pan to side and fold over as you are tipping it out of the pan.

Enjoy.

Enjoy!

Here is D at Farm School where he learns all about this stuff!  Yup he's there in the snow, bundled up and he LOVES it!

While he enjoys caring for the chickens (and pigs, goats, and everything on the farm) - D has no interest in eating eggs.  E on the other hand LOVES them :)  

Dylan sticks to other farm fresh food - namely, bacon.

Here are some eggy resources for your viewing pleasure/horror:

Egg Carton Labels

Egg Facts

Factory Farming

Factory Egg Farming








Hop on over to these blogs where - if they are lucky - I'll share this :)     


13 comments:

Aly said...

Love this post! And your blog. Added it to my reading list so I can come back frequently!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks, I'm so happy to have you!

Chaya said...

I am lucky. You did linky to My Meatless Mondays and I got to see an omelet which wants me to make it, tomorrow morning. I am an egg fan and this one is a beauty. Thanks for sharing .

Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures said...

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

kewkew said...

Thanks for stopping by and sharing with Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen
I did NOT know the definitions of all the different kinds of eggs, what an eye opener, very educational post. Maybe we will start buying our eggs from my friend at playgroup instead of from the store!

Oh, and thanks for sharing the recipe! Looks fantastic!!!
Hope to see you back regularly for Kids and a Mom in the Kitchen.

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Glad it helped!! :)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I would really love to have chickens some day and have fresh eggs all the time. Your blog is awesome ... so glad you linked up at Project Inspire{d} so I could read a bit more!

Melanie Goad said...

I'm lucky enough to get farm fresh eggs sometimes . . . but not as often as I would like.

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks - I am glad I found your blog too :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I know, I feel very lucky to be close to both civilization... and farms :)

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I wish my city kids could go to farm school... that's a perfect setting for PreK.

Featuring you again next week at Creative Juice...I just love the voice in your writing, and we have the same health conscience. :)

I can't wait til our farmer's market season opens...when I can get decent pastured eggs that aren't $8/carton. Yup. That's the going rate here in Chicago...

Take care,
Nicolette

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

It's spreading, the idea of outside naturey school, the idea is European I think - here is another one - in NY http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/nyregion/30forest.html

Thanks for the feature, and the nice compliments... I am SO sorry to hear of your egg prices. Ours are $3.50 at the farm (less than $3.99 which is what organic eggs are at the grocery store).

Thanks again, Nicolette!

Lisa Lynn said...

I'm so happy I have my own chickens :) Thanks for sharing your talent on The Creative HomeAcre Hop!
Our next party goes live Sunday morning at:
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-creative-homeacre-hop-6.html

If you have a blog hop, please check out The Linky Love Party...a place to share your parties with other bloggers! Grab the button for an easy way to search for parties every week!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/lets-party.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...