Widgets

Avoiding Corn Syrup? Buy Kosher.



I'm just going to put it out there.  

This isn't about religion.  

It's about chocolate syrup.

VERY IMPORTANT chocolate syrup.

It's not more important than religion, per se... but it is REALLY important.

Growing up in NY, with parents from the city, there were a few NYC kinda things that no one else really knows exist.  

One of those things is an Egg Cream.

Hear me out.

An egg cream has no eggs.

No cream.

What it does have is - a 1/2 inch of chocolate syrup (UBET), 2 inches of milk (WHOLE), and the rest of the glass seltzer. Check out the official recipe here on the UBET page mine is a little different - less syrup, more milk.

It used to come in these jars:


You may not use Hershey's chocolate syrup.

You may not use Nesquick.

You may not even use some fair trade, organic, chocolate syrup that costs $8.00 a bottle.

You MUST use UBET.  It sounds weird (well it is weird) - but it's true.  It doesn't taste the same, it doesn't taste right.

<side note: we taste tested my mom... she always knew when it was a different chocolate.>

So what does all this have to do with buying Kosher? 

Welp.  Reading labels like a good organicmama, I noticed a year ago, that UBET's ingredients include a change for Passover:

Ingredients: Corn Syrup (sugar during Passover , water, cocoa, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, vanillin (an artificial flavor), salt, preserved with potassium sorbate.

JUDGE.  FINE.  It's not like I eat it all the time by the bottle.  

There are just some times that you NEED an egg cream because:

It's really hot out.
You're really thirsty.
You're pregnant.
You're not pregnant.
You're tired.
You're awake.
You had a great day.
You had a terrible day.

So... I figure I might as well buy a bunch of it while it was sugar.  You know it is produced with sugar when it has a "kosher" plastic label on it (there are other companies that replace corn syrup with sugar during Passover... check out your favorite guilty pleasures and stock up!!)

Don't look for it at Wegmans.  I bought it out.




*Make sure it's "kosher for Passover" I'm told it matters. :)

Hop on over to these blogs where - if they are lucky - I'll share this :)     



14 comments:

Jeanne said...

It's a must have on hot summer days at 3pm.
--- her mom.

Leovi said...

Yes, I think a good food.

NicoleW said...

Since my kids have corn allergies we stock up on few things this time of year due to corn not be allowed during Passover. Be sure it's Kosher for Passover, not just Kosher though!

Gretchen said...

I know a lot of people like to stock up on Coke with real sugar during Passover. Not that _I_would know anything about that. Trader Joe's is generally good for reasonably priced stuff with no corn syrup--ketchup, chocolate syrup, etc. It's like Passover all year long at Trader Joe's ;)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

awesome! thanks :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

LOVE Trader Joe's :)

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com said...

LOL. I've been known to buy out a few things at Kroger's during Passover and stockpile them. (No, I won't tell you: I don't want anyone making a run on my stash!) If you haven't already, I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.

http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-11/

Donna Wilkes said...

Thanks for this tip. I am allergic to corn which is everywhere and in everything so I try to avoid as much as possible.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm so intrigued by that ... I had no idea that companies actually have different recipes at different times in order to make the product kosher!!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Haha no need to share your secrets - I have all of what I need - love your party :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Donna - make sure it's *kosher for passover - apparently it makes a difference - not being Jewish... I don't really know anything about it :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

So weird right?! I didn't know until I had the chocolate syrup in my hand last year :)

BeColorful said...

Seriously? Who would have guessed. Thanks for sharing.
p

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

haha I know... pretty lame I noticed... but I was excited #itsthelittlethings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...