Widgets

The Ultimate Mac&Cheese

What do you do when someone you know becomes a mom x3?  Someone who has twin babies like a rock star?!  

You cook that's what.   

When my friends had their babies last week I knew I had to cook up some hearty meals to bring over as an excuse to snuggle up their new, cute, perfect babies.

So one of the things I made this week for them (and let's face it for me too...) was the ULTIMATE Mac&Cheese.

This is not mac&cheese for everyday.  This is mac&cheese for when you REALLY need some love.

<side rant... did you know Kraft takes all the nastiness out of their mac&cheese exported outside the US and just feeds us the crap?  Well in any case - this is no Kraft(Crap) mac&cheese... this is dang good, gooey, cheesy, bacony, mac&cheese>



For this recipe (which is made to share) you need mass amounts - nothing is measured perfectly - so adjust as needed for your family.


The Ultimate Mac&Cheese We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients when possible.
2 pounds of pasta (we used fusilli – but choose your fav shape)
2 cups of milk
1.5 pounds of cheese (we like a cheddar, gruyere, jack, swiss mix – but again – choose what you like!)
4 tbs of flour
4 tbs of butter
½ tsp of nutmeg
½ tsp pepper
6 oz. of bacon (about 5 strips)
2 cups of breadcrumbs (we use the plainest organic we can find, the list has 4 pronounceable ingredients – CHECK YOURS most have 50+)

*I don't use salt because the following things you're addition will have salt: bacon, chicken stock & cheese :)

Fry bacon until crisp and drain.  Set aside.

Melt butter in a pot on medium high heat.  When melted, add flour and whisk together, let it cook for 2 minutes (but not burn).  Add chicken stock and whisk together continuously until smooth (about 5-10 minutes).  You may need to add a little water at this point if it is really thick.  Add milk and keep whisking.  Lower the heat.  When everything in the pot is warm, start adding cheese and stirring.  I don’t go crazy.  I sliced all of the cheese and added a bit at a time, let it melt, and added more.  While doing this – boil pasta until ALMOST done – when it is still a little crunchy, take out, drain, and pour into a couple of baking dishes.  When your cheese is all melty and good, add nutmeg and pepper.  Mix it all together and pour over your pasta.  It should be a little soupy.  Top pasta with breadcrumbs, chopped bacon, and more cheese (if you want).  Bake until bubbly and brown on top.  Enjoy.



This was the cheese I used - Swiss, Jack, Cheddar & Gruyere.


Flour and butter cooking through before stock is added.

Melty goodness.

Before the oven.

After.

Y.U.M.
I promise.

Vegetarians -leave out the bacon.
Vegans - do not attempt.


18 comments:

Jacquelyn Karlic said...

Looks yummy! I love making home made Mac and cheese, never tried it with nutmeg.

Jackie

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

Looks delicious and I love that you use a variety of cheeses! Thanks so much for linking up to the Pinworthy Projects Party this week!

Mary Beth said...

Oh my goodness this looks delicious! I didn't have twins but if I find a way to do that will you bake me some of this? I LOVE good mac and cheese and this definitely fits the bill.

Thanks for linking up to Project Inspire{d} ~ hugs, Mary Beth

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

It is! Whenever I make bechamel sauce - I use a little nutmeg. :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks - it was! My family loves cheese... all flavors and varieties :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks it was! I love cooking for others - it's like food for the soul <3

Emily Thompson said...

super yummy! What sweet babies :o) Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays @ Nap-Time Creations. So glad you stopped by! Emily

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That looks absolutely delicious! And I'm sure your friend was totally blessed to have a meal delivered while she's busy loving on her babies.

Lisa Lynn said...

Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre! I can't wait to see what you share next time at...
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-5.html

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

They are totally sweet, tiny, adorable and perfect :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks! Thanks for hosting a great party :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

:) thanks for hosting!

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com said...

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been ranting about Kraft and their horrible ingredients for ages, but hadn't found a Mac & Cheese recipe that my son won't whine about. This one looks like a winner! The only other one he's happy with are the Nash Brothers Organic Mac & Cheese cups. They're as easy as the Kraft Easy Mac, but I don't feel bad about him eating them because they're organic, they use whole wheat noodles and the cheese powder is actually CHEESE powder!

If you haven't already, I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.

http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-10/

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Most of the ingredients don't even have anything to do with cheese!!! This was delish and kid approved :)

Becolorful said...

Another great submission from you and another feature from me on BeColorful. :D Thanks for sharing. I can hardly wait to try this one.
p

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thank you so much!!! <3

Angie - easylivingmom.com said...

This looks amazing! Mac and cheese is one of my favorites. I'll definitely be making this on the next snowy day. Thanks so much for sharing this at my link party, I hope you can link up again next week :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks! It was really good and fantastic for a snowy day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...