Widgets

The Girl Scouts

Chillax mamas.

It's not like I'm EATING the cookies.

Sure I'm supporting the creation of things made with red and yellow dye and high fructose corn syrup - but I wanted to take a minute, on National Girl Scout Cookie Day, to tell you why I always buy Girl Scout Cookies.



So my devotion to buying Girl Scout cookies doesn't really have to do with the cookies (shocking, I know).  

My devotion buying a few boxes no matter how few are in the box and how much they have raised the cost this year comes from the awesomeness that is summer camp.

Confession.

I HATED summer camp the first year I went.

I cried and cried.

I refused to eat.

I refused to play.

I refused to sing.

I remember a group of terrible counselors trying to convince me to eat a bag of lays potato chips.  If they could only see me now...

I was in 1st grade, it was 3 nights.  Looking at my now almost 4 year old... I can't imagine him sleeping in a tent for 3 nights without me <read - my husband bc there is NO way I am going camping>

AFTER the first year, I loved summer camp.

I went all summer every summer.  I have been to a few camps, but my favorite summer home was Camp Waneeshi (which has since ceased to exist).



Honestly, Camp Waneeshi was a dump.

Seriously.

No indoor bathrooms.

Platform tents.

Old, mice infested buildings.

GROSS lake (I once got stung... bitten... by a water scorpion).

REALLY gross (outside) showers.

DISGUSTING food, something called bugjuice to drink.

Bugs everywhere.

Sounds pretty crunchy right?

Why spend your summers in such a place you might be asking yourself (if of course you're still reading)?

Honestly?  It's because I was compelled to.  

My mom was the camp director.

But really - I would have wanted to be there even if she wasn't :)

I loved summer camp.

I loved the people, songs, activities, gossip, crafts, camp fires, cooking out, hiking, and trips.

I loved that at 13 I could become a leader within the camp and learn the skills I needed for the rest of my life.

I LOVED leading program, songs, and units of girls enjoying their first summer camp experience.

I love walking in the dark without a flashlight with no fear.

At camp I learned how to be a leader, an educator, and a good friend.

Without Girl Scout camp I would not be the teacher and mom I am today (for better or worse).

Without camp, I wouldn't have been able to stand up to peer pressure, social challenges, and meet fear and failure with more tries rather than defeat.

Some of my most trusted (and crunchiest) mama friends today are my friends from camp.  We meet up from time to time, and it is like no time passed in between.  Camp bonds people together like nothing else can.

So what does all this reminiscing have to do with horrible, BT corn syrup laden cookies?

Cookie sales send girls to camp.

Girls who can't afford to go on their own.

Girls whose mom's don't work at camp, so they can't go for free.

Girls that NEED a strong self-esteem base to withstand the huge social challenges this new facebook world faces.

Girls that need a break from the inside of a house, TV, video games, and their Iphones.

Girls that need camp.

So.

Next time some annoying, weirdly dressed girl, comes to your door, or blocks your entrance to the bank, buy some freaking cookies.

OR.

Do what I do, and give them some cash and don't eat those poison nuggets. 

Ok. Maybe one Thin Mint.

Or a whole sleeve.

Where is that self-esteem I was talking about... 




Hop on over to these blogs where - if they are lucky - I'll share this :)     






14 comments:

LkGrgGrrl said...

YAY, Waneeshi was the best and did more for me as a young girl (and grown up) than I could ever imagine. She's right, if you don't want to eat the cookies (or if you're like me, and you can't) then buy them and drop them off at your local Elder Community or Homeless Shelter. Give them to someone else, or just donate by giving a gift of caring.

KT said...

<3 I used to give them to my students... now I won't let them eat processed food in class...

AsSnugAsABug said...

Guide camps are awesome (I'm in Australia). I'm a true blue girl guide too and I totally understand everything that you've said here. So I will shake your left hand in appreciation :)

KT said...

<3 yay! Glad you had a great experience as well!

momstheword said...

Is that WHY they sell the cookies? I have to admit that I just assumed they were selling the cookies to raise money for the organization. I had no idea that it would scholarship a child to camp. Cool!

I was a campfire girl myself, although I went to a girl scout meeting after my campfire leader moved away and there was no group to go to anymore. But I don't remember anything much about the scout meeting. Don't remember much about campfire girls either, lol!

I never went to a campfire girl camp, but I did go to church camp as a child and I had a blast! Thanks so much for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

KT said...

This is why some of them sell cookies yes - you can "win" trinkets, patches, clothes, and money toward camp over the summer. Additionally any money made goes to the organization as a whole :)

Anita Ferreri said...

I buy LOTS of boxes to share (I hope) withour troops all over the world....thanks to an initiative that Westchester councils have been doing. I will howeve, confess to you that I bu7 2 boxes to have for some emergency when company that eats goodies regularly comes...not that that has happened lately...but I will be ready to have them to eat during a power outage (one Thin Mint and one Samoa)! I too owe lots to GS and even though they are NOT what they were, the GS program provides a framework for those of us who are NOT super jocks and who are NOT super smart....you know...those of us who are changing the world...one breath and one word at a time!

KT said...

:) I have been known to have a Samoa and thin mint or two :)

Lisa Lynn said...

Lol! I still eat a few, I order them every year from a friend's daughter. Thank you so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! I hope to see you again tomorrow! Here's the link:
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-3.html

Have a wonderful weekend!

KT said...

I know, they are definitely hard to resist. :)

Shannon Brown said...

That is so amazing that you have kept in touch with girls from camp! I really never knew what the cookie sales thing was about, except that they must be laced with crack. I really don't think I have the will power to buy and not partake. Oh the baby in my belly wants Samoas! ;)

KT said...

hahaha the baby should get what the baby wants! We have our own little facebook group of girl scout camp mamas :)

Elizabeth said...

Yay! Thank you so much for this. I was one of those girls, and I treasure every moment of my Girl Scout Camp!

Also your spam blocker is terribly difficult to read FYI

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

<3 thanks for letting me know about the spam reader... didn't even know I had one on! I have turned it off :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...