Widgets

Natural Food Coloring for Organic Kids




So, since we went organic a while ago, I have tried to cut out processed foods (or more realistically, MOST, highly processed foods).  

In MY reality some are hard to avoid - some white flour, some organic, fair trade, raw sugar, some convenience items, etc.  Some people are better at substituting whole wheat flour for white flour in everything, and maple syrup for sugar in most everything... but I like a fluffy bread and I hate syrup... so I forge on... partially crunchy.

But as I have read more and more, I did (and do) want to cut artificial coloring.  

Here are some of the reasons why (they are linked to the articles/studies):


If you don't read any of the above articles, go back and read the last one by Robyn O'Brien, unreal.

In any case... long story short, I am TRYING to cut these nasties out of my kids' food.  So... here was my attempt at some food dying with food... rather than chemicals.  There are lots of better, more effective ways, but for what we are doing - these worked out just fine - and they were available in my parents' fridge... and that's where we are!

We made some nice, organic, sugar cookies... and topped them with some easy confectioner's sugar icing (usually sugar, water, food coloring).

Instead of food coloring I used...

Some defrosted spinach juice.

Some smashed up strawberries and water.

Some smashed up cantaloupe and water.

The picture of the heart muffins below, the icing is dyed with raspberries, much more effective than strawberries... and is topped with toxic sprinkles.  

I bought 15cents worth from the bulk bin at Wegmans, Happy Valentine's kids!  Enjoy your red dye treat ;)  

Like I said I'm trying... 




Want some more info on natural, healthy, toxin free living?  Check out the AMAZING bundle sale going on now! 
Click below for all the deets on the bundle:Harvest Your Health Library of eBooks_Wide Format

20 comments:

Jeni IGOTTHISMARTHA said...

Great ideas!

Emily @Random Recycling said...

I started paying more attention to this too last year. I think it started with Valentine's day too and then we used natural dyes for Easter eggs too. http://randomrecycling.com/natural-egg-dyeing-with-kitchen-leftovers-2/#

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com said...

Between my husband's recent diagnosis with brain cancer, and my pre-teen son's borderline ADHD, we've eliminated processed foods, too. I love the thought of using natural food coloring because of that. Have you thought about using beet juice for red?

I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.
http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-9/

KT said...

Thanks!

KT said...

Awesome thanks!

KT said...

Yes - I think beet juice would have been much brighter! I was just using what was available at my mom's house :)

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

I'm trying to avoid artificial food coloring also! I wrote a post about homemade food coloring not too long ago and included a chart of different things I've tried. http://www.ourhomemadehappiness.com/2012/07/homemade-natural-food-coloring_31.html

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks! I will check it out :)

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama said...

Great options! We try to avoid artificial coloring and dye too.

Thanks for linking up at The Tuesday Baby Link Up! I will be featuring your post this week. :-)

Jills Home Remedies said...

I would love to remove more dyes from our diet! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon Brown said...

People often ask me why can't E have just a little bit of whatever unhealthy food. This is a perfect example of how a little bit does make a difference! Artificial food coloring probably makes up a tiny fraction of any of the foods they're in, but they have the power to completely alter mood and behavior. Thanks for linking up!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

wahoo! thanks!!! <3

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

It's certainly hard in processed foods - but easy in stuff you're making yourself :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Shannon - you sound better than me :) We certainly haven't eliminated completely outside of the house - but we do what we can at home! Your little guy is very lucky to have such a wonderful mama!

Angie Generose said...

This is great! I pinned it because I know I'll be coming back to it. There are so many cute kid goodies I want to make, but they all require food dye, and I just hate giving those to my kids. This will be perfect!

-Angie
www.easylivingmom.com

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Awesome! Glad it was useful - I LOVE your link party and the layout of your blog. So cute!

sillhouine said...

This is awesome! I always feel uneasy about feeding my kids food coloring and unhealthy foods with chemicals.. I usually shop at my organic grocery in Chicago. Do you think they would have all the ingredients to make all of this?

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I would imagine so - but I am always surprised at the small selection in some grocery stores - we are lucky where we are to have a big variety of organic stuff products.

Rahul Kesharwani said...

Thank you for talking about useful information. Excellent publish. I knowledgeable learning this publish. The whole weblog is very amazing found some excellent products and efficient information here Thanks..Also examine out my page

natural organic products - Get the finest organic raw food bars and supplements as well as health and nutrition tips. Buy Organic Food Bars from $1.91 to $2.41 per bar delivered!

Anonymous said...

Good sharing, about organic food supplement I do recommend for Melilea Greenfield Organic. It made from more than 20 types of 5-star "Zero-Pollution" ingredients including organic golden grains, organic vegetables, organic fruits and organic herbs. Suitable for all ages and conditions. Read more at:
http://kidbuxblog.com/melilea-greenfield-organic/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...