Widgets

French Onion Soup

When it's cold and rainy, nothing's better than soup!

<other than sleeping, wine, a quiet house and coffee...>

Today it was cold and rainy, the snow outside doesn't look pretty anymore, just yucky, brown and wet... it was a good day to make soup.

This French Onion Soup was pretty easy.  It was NOT fast - I cooked it for about 3 hours, plus 30 minutes in the oven.  The time would have been extended if I had made the bread that was necessary.  My fav store Wegmans though, started carrying organic breads with few (and non-yucky) ingredients, that I would put in bread :)  Check it out:



I can't make a habit out of it, because 1 loaf was $5.00 - but it was damn good in this dish... I might buy it anytime I make French Onion Soup. mmmmmmm. On to the directions:


French Onion Soup 
When available we use organic, fair trade, and/or local ingredients.
12 onions (I used 6 yellow and 6 Vidalia)

4 cloves of garlic

4 tbs of butter         

4 cups of beef stock

4  cups of chicken stock

2 cups of water

1 tsp fresh rosemary

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried parsley

Your favorite melty cheese: gruyere and swiss were the ones we picked

Crusty bread (we used the rosemary olive oil loaf above)

Salt and pepper to taste

Slice onions and sauté in butter.  I had to do mine in batches – if you have a huge pot – use that :)

When onions are soft add stock, water, and spices and cook on low for at least an hour.  I cooked it for 3.  A note on the stock… I am going to start researching, ALL the brands of organic beef stock had (organic) caramel color.  I don’t like it.  Not one bit.  The chicken stock was ours homemade… If you wanted to vegetarian this up – you could use veggie stock (some contain corn syrup so check – as do those “better than bouillon” and bouillon cubes).

So when you’re ready, in some oven safe bowl-type containers, put some soup, a BIG slice of bread (I cut it in one inch slices), and LOTS of cheese.  We like our cheese around here… we buy it in blocks and it never lasts a week.   We do not buy shredded cheese.

Put it in the oven and cook until the cheese is melty and delicious.*

Enjoy.

*Unless you’re three and then first remove bread and cut into pieces <complain about bread being soggy>, then add ice to soup and wait until it’s cold and time to go to bed, then complain about eating two bites.<3


Some illustration:

Soft, sweet onions!

Don't rush the cook time - it matters!

YUM!

SO good.  I promise.  So so good.





___________________________________________________________








10 comments:

Greta K. said...

Are you familiar with the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day?" This book has kind of changed my life in terms of making bread. The recipes are very simple and error-proof and don't add very much time to your day (hence the title). There is also a healthier version of the book. Here is a link to the original recipe and I am sure you could use organic flour as well. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/211brex.html?_r=0

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com said...

Oh yum! French Onion soup is one of my all-time favorites. Your recipe looks incredibly delicious, and I am jealous that your grocery store is carrying organic breads!

If you haven't already, I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.

http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-10/

Shannon {Cozy Country Living} said...

This looks so yummy! I love to make soup, so I will be trying this! Thanks for sharing!!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

No!!! I will definitely check it out :) thanks, Greta!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

It was so good. We are lucky to live in an area that seems to have a high demand (and therefore high supply) of organic foods. Very lucky.

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks - it was :)

momstheword said...

Oh wow, I haven't had French Onion soup in ages and this looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing the recipe and thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday today!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

It was soooo good. I have just enough left over to enjoy one more crock at nap time today :)

Melanie Goad said...

Love french onion soup!!! Your photos look so yummy!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks - it was really good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...