Widgets

Fajitas & Homemade Spice Mix

I'll admit it.

I used to buy the spice mix in the packages.

The ones with all the salt.

and MSG.

and artificial colors.

and artificial flavors.

and preservatives.

and lots of other stuff I can't pronounce.

I used to just use half a pack and think I was doing good, cutting back on salt.  I mean I was MAKING the fajitas at home, how bad could it be right?

Ick.

If you're interested here are some of the common brands and their ingredient lists:

Did you look?

Eh, I wouldn't either.  Who wants to go through the trouble of following links... you're already reading right - shouldn't I be doing the research?

Fine, I will summarize for you lazy peeps.

It's not good.

So.  When D said he wanted to have something with "colorful peppers and onions" with dinner I knew I had to start from scratch.  


I took out all the spices and here is what I came up with... hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did!



Chicken Fajitas
We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients
Fajita Mix:
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
¼ tsp Chipotle Powder
¼ tsp Cayenne Powder
Salt
Pepper

Fajitas:
1 pound of chicken
4 peppers (your choice of color)
2 small red onions (or one large)
3 carrots
Olive Oil
Thinly slice all veggies.  Coat the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil and fry veggies.  I put the carrots in first because they take the longest, then added the rest.  Put your spices in when everything starts to soften.  When veggies are cooked, remove them from the pan and set aside.  Put a little more olive oil in the pan and dice chicken in one inches cubes (or slice it up, however you want it).  Fry chicken.  When almost finished return everything to the pan and finish cooking. 

We served these with these organic corn tortillas (check your wraps – TONS of unnecessary shady ingredients) – if you can find corn tortillas that are organic – they are your best bet. I found they are best prepared by dampening them and then lightly frying in a very small amount of olive oil (barely any- maybe a teaspoon for a whole package) – warm both sides and they will not split.  The key is to put them in the pan a little moist. 

We also had a variety of yummy toppings.  They were a hit all around! 



15 comments:

Heather Graham said...

Wow! Those look delicious... it's amazing what we consume in processed foods.... and spices! WOW! I never stopped to think about spices..... So glad you shared this!

((Hugs))
Heather
http://stringtownhome.blogspot.com

KT said...

I know right! I didn't think anything of it until I turned the package around... ugh!

Kristy Gardner said...

for some reason, it never occurred to me to make my own seasoning. but of course i should! i hate all the weird ingredients in the packets but yes - i will just make my own :) yours looks great!

thank you for sharing with us at the wednesday fresh foods link up! i hope to see you again this week with more seasonal & real/whole food posts! xo, kristy.

KT said...

I know - I was surprised what was in them too!!

Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures said...

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

These sound and look so good.....Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com



momstheword said...

Oh I make fajitas all the time and yes, I use those little packets and no I haven't looked, lol! I don't think I want to know! :)

Thank you for doing all the work for us, plus it saves money, right? I have never made chicken fajitas, I just use ground turkey but I know it would work just fine for that too. I have never tried it with carrots though!

Thank you for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

KT said...

You're welcome! Thanks for hosting :)

KT said...

They were really good! :)

KT said...

I have never done it with ground meat - sounds good! I put carrots in everything... they seem to disappear... no one notices the extra veggies!

Lisa Lynn said...

Sounds yummy! My Mom used to buy all those little spice packs. I don't think I have ever used them in my own cooking. I commend you for checking and changing! Thanks so much for sharing this on The Creative HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you tomorrow on the next Creative HomeAcre hop!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop-4.html

KMT said...

Always love your recipes :) And I was just thinking the other day...as I was buying one of those packets because its such an easy dinner...that I should just use all the organic spices that are already in my cabinet (I really am trying to go all organic foods...i'm probably at 75% organic...almost there lol) So I knew I had the spices, but didn't know which ones to use and how much of each to use...thanks for trying it out and posting, I will definitely try it out!

KMT said...

btw - Its your favorite college roommate....who has the same name :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

Thanks! They were yummy!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

it's hard to go 100% all at the same time - I didn't throw anything out that I already had, just made an effort to replace items that ran out with organic stuff :) keep up the good work!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...