Widgets

Brussels Sprout Slaw

Did you know that it's not Brussel Sprout?  It's always plural "Brussels" sprout.

Oh English, you get me every time.  I am going to go ahead and misspell it in this post - because I don't like it the correct way.

Before you go and get all 3rd grade on me "brussel sprouts are gross" "ewwwww" "disgusting" "I hate cabbage" "they make you fart" (ok that last one is true) - hear me out.

They CAN be delicious.  Fry them with some bacon or pancetta and some olive oil (and raisins if that's your style) - they are soooo good... but of course wouldn't anything be with olive oil and some delicious fatty, salty, meat and sweet fruit?  OF COURSE!

So pairing brussel sprouts with pork seemed to make sense, because they taste SO dang good with bacon.  

After the blizzard this weekend, and some serious laundry folding (someone remind me not to wait 2 months again to fold laundry...) I decided to make an easy dinner.  We had some pulled pork in the freezer from the last time I made it.  So I took that out, made some simple buns, but trapped at home with the governor's ban on driving (thanks for taking over my LIFE Massachusetts, and my coffee addiction) I had to get creative in the coleslaw pairing.

So... what is more cabgagey than cabbage?  

Brussel sprouts.  That's what.

So.  I made some Warm Brussel Sprout slaw to pair with my yummy pulled pork.  It was delicious!





Brussel Sprout Slaw
We use organic, fair trade, and or local ingredients
1 Container of Brussel Sprouts
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
Splash of Lemon Juice
Cut off bottoms and shred brussel sprouts.  Coat the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil and heat up oil to medium heat.  You need to work quickly, because the brussel sprouts are shredded – they cook quickly so have your other ingredients next to the stove.  Put brussel sprouts in the pan and put in the rest of the ingredients except the lemon juice.  Cook for about 2 minutes (they should remain bright green), take off heat and put a splash of lemon juice in.  Top your pulled pork with the slaw and some horseradish sauce (mayo, horseradish, and honey – don’t buy the store made ones, the first ingredient is HFCS).


*Note:
This is my second time making these homemade rolls (I use half whole wheat flour).  ANYWAY - I noticed when I was removing them from the baking sheets that there is a significant difference between those cooked on parchment paper and those cooked on my silpat.  Check it out (the burnt ones are the parchment).  Looks like I need another silpat :)



3 comments:

momstheword said...

I have to admit that I love anyone who attempts homemade buns because I have never tried to make them. (I did make homemade tortillas once!)

I don't like brussel sprouts but as you said, I would have to give them a chance again. I like a lot of stuff NOW (such as salad or broccoli) that I hated as a child. So I should probably try them again, lol!

Thank you for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

KT said...

These ones are so easy - AND - they rise really quickly :)

Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures said...

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...