Widgets

Easy Crock Pot Chicken

Don't judge.

We're not back into cloth yet. 

I am back to cooking though, and it feels great!  Chinese, Thai, and sushi are all wonderful - but my family feels better when we cook at home.  The food is better quality, healthier, and ready on our schedule.

I. HATE. THE. CROCKPOT.

Let me tell you why.

Growing up, the crock pot was for big meat.  

What's big meat you ask?

It's like a gross, dry, pot roast.

Or a roast of any kind.

It tastes the same.  It tastes like the crock pot.  Like an old, gross, big, brown, meat.

So, imagine my surprise when I found out you could make other things in the crock pot!  

I like making chicken in the crock pot because I'm lazy.

I can put the whole meal in there whenever I have 10 minutes (even the day before and throw the whole thing in the fridge), and then turn it on when needed, let it cook while we're out, and then bam insta-dinner.  Then just when you think you have to wash it (ugh) NOPE! You get a whole additional day reprieve because you have to make stock.  Why dirty another kitchen item when you can leave it until tomorrow... or the day after?? I'm getting ahead of myself.  Let's start with the chicken.



Easy Whole Crock Pot Chicken

1 Whole Organic Chicken (doesn't matter how big - just make sure it fits in your crock pot)
5 Big Organic Carrots
5-8 Organic Red Potatoes
(optional - sometimes I put apples in - it makes the stock a little sweet and is yummy!)
1/4 Cup of Organic Leeks or Onions
2 Cups of Organic Chicken Stock (which you will always have in the freezer if you make this enough!)
Rosemary
Thyme
Salt and Pepper
Garlic Powder

Chop up all your vegetables and herbs (mine are still alive from the summer - I brought them in and planted them inside... they are doing better on the heater in my kitchen than they ever did outside) and put them in the bottom of the pot with the stock.  Clean your chicken (take out any nasty insides it comes with) and plop it on top of the veg. 

Cook. 

Depending on your pot the time will really vary.  I can cook the whole thing on high for 3 hours and it is done - but I get the feeling that's not true for every pot.

What you end up with is very delicious chicken that falls right off the bone (which is good because we are not finished with those bones!!).

Take all the chicken off the bones and put on your platter to serve. Reserve a cup of liquid to make some quick gravy if you want (I just use 2 tbs butter, 2tbs flour, and the liquid, salt, pepper, garlic powder and tada!) Throw the bones back into the liquid and fill to the top with water.  Add a lot of spices.  Whichever ones you love, then a bunch of sea salt.  Put the whole thing on low overnight (or longer if you don't want to wash the pot...).  

Then for this meal... I did take a little of everything, a little of the liquid, my immersion blender, and put it in a Squooshi for E.  


He ate two pouches, plus a bunch of pieces of the meal.  Here is D "helping."  E was not thrilled with his intervention (note the double fisting).


Better on his own...

D... enjoying "dessert."  How long can I keep him thinking that a yogurt spinach smoothie is dessert??

Have I told you how much I love these Squooshis?!!!  Like them on facebook STAT!  They are magical!

PS - I'm going out for sushi Thursday.  In my defense... I'll leave a healthy, organic meal for my family.


7 comments:

Megan Rabenda said...

I agree with your big meat crock pot hatred. It's too much like all those "one pot" meals at camp. Ugh!

KT said...

I totally agree. Before I was "in charge" of my own house... I HATED one pot meals. Now I put everything in one pot even if I'm not supposed to just to cut down on the washing :)

Miss_Brandi said...

Instead of buying a whole chicken can I use chicken thighs or breasts instead? If not whats or how is the best way to clean a whole chicken.

KT said...

Sure! I would imagine that would be fine - whole chickens are just usually cheaper. I just take the whole chicken out of the package, remove the innards (that are sometimes include in the cavity), and then rinse the whole thing off. I would rinse any chicken before cooking it - so it seems just as easy :)

Thanks for reading!

Lisa Lynn said...

Looks great! Found you on Frugal Days and I would love to have you share this on The HomeAcre Hop!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/the-homeacre-hop-3.html

KT said...

Thanks, Lisa! I will check it out!

Silvia Jacinto said...


I must say that you have a very good article.Continue to inspire your reader and Have a good day! You can also visit my site indicated below and share it with your friends.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...