Widgets

Crunchy "Cures" & Hocus Pocus

Is is possible I am more crunchy than I thought? 

Some examples:

  • My kids are feeling a little sick - so I searched for the humidifier (not used since last year) and just couldn't dump the "vicks" stuff into the diffuser - just seemed like poison
  • We don't own cough syrup
  • When looking in my cabinet for medicine what I found was - homeopathic kids flu "medicine", homeopathic chest rub, and essential oils - or as I like to call it... Hocus Pocus... 
  • I have 4 different varieties of honey from the fall... I bought them at various farmers' markets and where we went apple picking
  • I have a wide variety of organic tea (sidenote... I hate tea) - some of which is for increasing supply :)
  • I have this vinegar (only crunchy women know it exists):
That's when it hit me. 

This time last year I had never even heard of essential oils or the above vinegar.

I now own a variety of scents of essential oil... and am always looking for more.

I had never used honey before for anything.  It was sticky and gross.

I had lots of different types of (toxic) cleaners.

I have been to the chiropractor. 

How did this happen?  When did it happen?

Well I guess it doesn't matter - but when my kids were feeling crummy - I wondered what's a crunchy to do?  So I gathered up some supplies and headed to the kitchen.


I put a pot of water on the stove for some tea for my big boy.  I brewed him up some weak tea with lots of yummy local honey.  He enjoyed it as a "special treat."

I put another (open) pot on the stove with some water (here's where things get crunchy) with some essential oils.  I used:
  • 3 drops of Peppermint
  • 3 drops of Eucalyptus  (I'm not THAT crunchy - this took me 5 minutes to spell)
  • 2 drops of Tea Tree
It has been boiling away helping us all breathe better for a few hours now.

We don't typically watch that much TV so I don't feel bad telling you that PBS has been on all morning and we have been watching a variety of shows (which for some reason all seem to be focusing on the letter "H").  

I also put some oil into the diffuser for the humidfier.  It felt better than dumping that Vicks crap in (I put that in the trash).

Curious about the oils here is what I found about the properties of the oils I chose (incidentally - I chose them because when I took a sniff of all of them - these ones cleared my airway! Looks like the sniff test is as good as any!)

Peppermint: antimicrobial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, expectorant, anti-nausea 
Eucalyptus: anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-viral, decongestant, expectorant
Tea Tree: antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-viral, expectorant, fungicide

Those are some pretty powerful oils! 

I'm not saying they're "cures" (ok maybe I am) - but the kids are looking pretty happy... maybe it's just the TV though :)


Photobucket


Hop on over to these blogs where - if they are lucky - I'll share this :)     


22 comments:

Greta K. said...

I love essential oils. My friend sells them through DoTerra (or promotes them, it kind of confuses me) and they are quite wonderful. I only have the lavender and peppermint so far but hope to buy more in the future.

KT said...

Wegmans has a huge selection right by all the... crunchy, natural, goats' milk soap :)

Jenn said...

Oh wow. This stuff is so interesting to me.

KT said...

:) Glad you're interested!

shannon said...

Love your posts! You really make me laugh. This is good stuff! I boil essential oils or use the aromatherapy oil burners (not in Reid's room) for all kinds of things. It makes my house smell like a spa (I wish it was right now). Have you made your own chest rub? I haven't but I saw some recipes online. I also do think saline nasal washes work and those little homeopathic pellets do wonders for Reid!
Hope your boys are feeling better!
Shannon

KT said...

Thanks, Shannon, I'm glad you're laughing :) sometimes I think it's just me! I have NOT tried chest rub (I bought some homeopathic hocus pocus at Wegmans) - but I will now search pinterest... We are enjoying another day of essential oils on the stove. My poor husband walked in the house last night... and with worry on his face said... um... what's for dinner?

Micki Sellers said...

LOL I am pretty crunchy but I live in a non crunchy area. I've never seen that vinegar ;) There are some of my "weird" cures my family swears by...one of them is arnica. Not helpful in your case, but I always have it on hand. I love your post :D I host a link party and would be thrilled if you linked this up and any other posts http://www.addhousewife.com/2013/01/pin-inspiration-party-time.html

KT said...

Although I have the vinegar... I have yet to use it :) Thanks for the arnica tip - I will research! I will definitely swing by your party!! Thanks for finding me!

Diana - FreeStyleMama said...

Interesting!! I am a new follower and I'd like to invite you to participate in my Pin Me Linky Party. It goes Fri-Tue. I allow up to 3 links each week!

KT said...

Thanks! Sounds great :)

Crystelle Boutique said...

I'm so glad you take such good care of your kids. They will gorw up so healthy and strong thanks to a good mom... :)

hugs x
Crystelle

momstheword said...

I am glad that they are feeling better! We just got over the flu and it was nasty. I don't think I could use vicks. I have asthma and certain smells will just send me right into an asthma attack, lol!

I have never liked the idea of a chiropractor. Not to be rude but I've always thought that they were "quacks" as my mom used to say. But my oldest son injured his back at work over a year ago. He recently had a flare up (has no idea what he did to cause it again) and he was flat on his back in pain for two weeks. Couldn't work and could barely walk and in such pain.

His doctor couldn't fit him in for three weeks so in desperation he went to a chiropractor. They had him walking and nearly pain free after that first adjustment. He's been so much better and it's actually been amazing. He's been three times now. So even though I still am leary of chiropractors as a rule, I like this one because he's helping my son, lol! He's even been able to go back to work. He's still being careful though. Thanks so much for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

KT said...

Thanks! They are better now and I am sick :) the essential oil boiling continues!

KT said...

Too funny - I actually went to a chiro my last week of pregnancy - (LATE) I broke my back and couldn't do anything about it. The chiro made things tolerable until the baby arrived on his own time :)

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Welcome to the crunchy cult. It starts small...and then, in five years time, you'll be full-blown.

Featuring this post tonight at Creative Juice and at my health is wealth board at pinterest.

<3
Nicolette

p.s. Peppermint and Eucalyptus oil antidote homeopathics. We are hard core into homeopathy, and our homeopathy said those deactivate the remedies.

p.s.s Do you use Vetiver? It's my favorite essential oil.

KT said...

Ahhhh thank you! I am new to all of this so NO I didn't know - so perhaps having the oil in the humidifier and homeopathic medicine in my body last night cancelled each other out :)

So excited to be featured! Can't wait to check it out and blast it all through my facebook :)

I have never heard of Vetiver... but I will pick it up the next time I am at Wegmans :)

Becolorful said...

I think more and more people are thinking like you are. I was even contemplating a similar post but even though it is still on over the counter cold miracles they are not the usual things in our medicine cabinets. I am also thinking more along the lines of herbs than prescription for my own higher but not extreme cholesterol numbers ( I hate getting older). I will be pinning your "cures" for sure. :D
Thanks for sharing.
p

KT said...

thanks!! :)

Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama said...

You sound just like me! ;-) Thanks for linking up at The Tuesday Baby Link Up!

KT said...

Great minds think alike!

Alice Emma Thompson said...

Are essential oils or TV the magical cure - tricky one ;-)

Really must give essential oils a go - for me as much as anything.

Thank you so much for linking up at the Friday Baby Shower - look forward to seeing you at this week's party, Alice x

Lydia LaRae said...

I just found your blog through a link up party and this post caught my eye since I am also a hocus pocus devotee (I dunno, maybe you wouldn't call yourself a devotee, but anyway...)

I thought your comment about the apple cider vinegar was hilarious! "Only crunchy moms know it exists." LOL!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...