- My kids are feeling a little sick - so I searched for the humidifier (not used since last year) and just couldn't dump the "vicks" stuff into the diffuser - just seemed like poison
- We don't own cough syrup
- When looking in my cabinet for medicine what I found was - homeopathic kids flu "medicine", homeopathic chest rub, and essential oils - or as I like to call it... Hocus Pocus...
- I have 4 different varieties of honey from the fall... I bought them at various farmers' markets and where we went apple picking
- I have a wide variety of organic tea (sidenote... I hate tea) - some of which is for increasing supply :)
- I have this vinegar (only crunchy women know it exists):
That's when it hit me.
This time last year I had never even heard of essential oils or the above vinegar.
I now own a variety of scents of essential oil... and am always looking for more.
I had never used honey before for anything. It was sticky and gross.
I had lots of different types of (toxic) cleaners.
I have been to the chiropractor.
How did this happen? When did it happen?
Well I guess it doesn't matter - but when my kids were feeling crummy - I wondered what's a crunchy to do? So I gathered up some supplies and headed to the kitchen.
I put a pot of water on the stove for some tea for my big boy. I brewed him up some weak tea with lots of yummy local honey. He enjoyed it as a "special treat."
I put another (open) pot on the stove with some water (here's where things get crunchy) with some essential oils. I used:
- 3 drops of Peppermint
- 3 drops of Eucalyptus (I'm not THAT crunchy - this took me 5 minutes to spell)
- 2 drops of Tea Tree
It has been boiling away helping us all breathe better for a few hours now.
We don't typically watch that much TV so I don't feel bad telling you that PBS has been on all morning and we have been watching a variety of shows (which for some reason all seem to be focusing on the letter "H").
I also put some oil into the diffuser for the humidfier. It felt better than dumping that Vicks crap in (I put that in the trash).
Curious about the oils here is what I found about the properties of the oils I chose (incidentally - I chose them because when I took a sniff of all of them - these ones cleared my airway! Looks like the sniff test is as good as any!)
Peppermint: antimicrobial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, expectorant, anti-nausea
Eucalyptus: anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-viral, decongestant, expectorant
Tea Tree: antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-viral, expectorant, fungicide
Those are some pretty powerful oils!
I'm not saying they're "cures" (ok maybe I am) - but the kids are looking pretty happy... maybe it's just the TV though :)
Hop on over to these blogs where - if they are lucky - I'll share this :)