Widgets

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes & Home Made Buns


By now... you may have heard that I HATE the crock pot.  With that said, it would seem as though... I don't hate everything about it.  Most recently these really yummy Sloppy Joes.

Growing up - I just thought sloppy Joes were some gross, mystery meat, cafeteria lunch.  That might still be true for most sloppy Joes, but NOT these.  These are delicious, sweet, tangy, organic, and the ingredients are no mystery. 

Make these.

Right now.

You won't be disappointed.

Now - honestly - this recipe is a little annoying.  I hate the crock pot - but the convenience has lately outweighed the hate.  This recipe is not all that convenient at the beginning   You have to cook meat in the morning.

Gross.

I promise it's worth it though.

Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
We use all organic and or local and or fair trade ingredients 

1 pound (or more) of grass fed ground beef (sometimes I don't like the taste of grassfed beef - although it sounds terrible, the antibiotic, drug fed, fatty beef - just plain tastes better.  This recipe for some reason - it tastes GREAT).  You could also use turkey or chicken.
1 green pepper
3 carrots
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can water (use after you dump tomatoes... why dirty something else)
3 big cloves of garlic
1 onion
1/2 can of tomato paste
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of BRAGG apple cider vinegar (you can use something else - but it won't taste the same - this stuff is soooo good)
a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce (if you know of an organic variety - let me know! I couldn't find any)
1/2 cup of ketchup 
1 tsp molassas 
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt/pepper
olive oil

In a skillet - fry ground beef with olive oil, after a few minutes add in garlic.  When meat is brown remove from heat (dump it all into the crock pot)

Chop onion and pepper and put in crock pot.

Grate carrots and put into crock pot.

Put the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot.  It should look something like this:

If your kids don't eat/like veggies - you could really add anything grated - ie: zucchini, chopped up spinach, pureed butternut squash, whatever.

Cook the whole thing on low (or high if your crock pot runs low) until everything is soft.  Remove lid and cook on high until it is the consistency you like (and won't run off your bun).  You can't overcook it... I think.


We used these home made buns - the recipe was super quick and yummy.  I did use half whole wheat flour and they came out just fine!  I was also wearing a screaming baby - and they STILL turned out fine.  They would have been even quicker if someone didn't find where they were rising...


Hop on over to these blogs where - if they are lucky - I'll share this :)     


12 comments:

From Nature to Nurture said...

This sounds delicious and I love crockpot recipes!

momstheword said...

I am the opposite, I love my crockpot but I hate sloppy joes, lol! However, I might just have to take your word and give this a try! ;)

I love that you made your own buns. I have made bread but never buns and I'd love to try it. Thanks so much for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

KT said...

they were really good - almost dessert like! I had to stop myself at 2 because I could have eaten them all night!

KT said...

Well they do taste like sloppy Joes... but they are sweet and tangy and delicious! The buns were good - easy like I said - I started with 4 cups of flour (the recipe says 4-6) and added in by the (unmeasured) heaping tablespoon. All the extra I added was white flour - but I was happy they turned out ok with some wheat - sometimes they get too dense.

You always have the kindest comments and host the nicest blog. Thanks for stopping in to read :)

Dana DeVolk said...

YUM!!! I will be making this soon! We would love it if you would link up at our new linky party: Two Girls and a Party Hosted by:
Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life
Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
We hope to see you there!

KT said...

Just posted my two favorite posts and added you to my lists :) Off yo find you on FB :)

Becolorful said...

What time is dinner? :D Looks delish. Thanks for sharing.
p

Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures said...

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

KT said...

It really was good. :)

KT said...

Thanks!

Emily said...

Ha! I love the handprints! i do sloppy joes in the crockpot as well. when i buy ground beef (which isnt often, because it is sooo expensive now) i try to brown it ahead of time. then you can just toss it in the pot :)

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I know - it was hard not to laugh when I saw them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...