Widgets

Cinnamon & Sugar German Pancake



When I say this you can't judge me.

Well I mean obviously you can, but you shouldn't.

Sometimes we don't eat breakfast.

There. It's out.

Before you get all "it's the most important meal of the day" and "people who eat breakfast loose more weight" and "eat this bowl of special K" (ick loaded with gmos) or whatev - I have ALWAYS hated breakfast.  

I don't like breakfast food.

I don't like the smell of breakfast food.

Since I had an opinion and voiced it, I have never liked eating breakfast.  In high school I begged my mom just to let me drink a glass of milk because the thought of smelling breakfast made me sick.

With that said, imagine my surprise when I (and more importantly my kiddos) LOVED this German Pancake.

Let me start off by saying I think the reasons we liked it are different.

I liked it because it takes exactly 24 minutes to make.

Do you know what else takes 24 minutes?

Every Disney Junior or Sprout on demand show.

Mickey.

Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

Thomas.

All 24 minutes.

You know what else takes 24 minutes?  (well not 24, more like 15... I have to make and put the pancake in the oven first) - showering, getting dressed, putting on eyeliner and mascara, brushing my teeth, and putting the baby down for a nap.

My how time has changed. 

Anyhow - the kids scarfed the whole thing.  I did eat one "no thank you taste" and it was good, I mean if you like breakfast, but my kids housed the whole 8x8 pan.  

So you probably want the recipe... here it is:

1/3 cup of Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup of Organic Unbleached Flour
2/3 cup of Organic Whole Milk
4 Farm Fresh (from farm school...) HUGE Eggs
1 tsp of Organic Cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 Sprinkle of Sugar (yup, a sprinkle)
1 Hunk of Organic Salted Butter (yup, a hunk)
Powdered sugar and cinnamon mixed together for topping.

Put on any kids on demand show for your kids.  

Preheat oven (with your baking pan in it) to 400.  Mix up everything but the sugar and butter.  It's very liquidy, much more so than regular pancake batter.  When the oven is up to temp, throw your hunk of butter in the pan until it's all melty and bubbley.  Dump in your pancake mix, sprinkle top with sugar, set your timer for 20 minutes, grab the baby, put him down for a nap, and jump in the shower!

Ok, the last part is up to your discretion.

And the first part.

When you take the pancake out - it will be huge, like a pop-over.  As soon as you take it out it will start to shrink, you haven't done anything wrong, that's just what happens.  Cut, sprinkle with your cinnamon and powdered sugar and serve!  It tastes like a delicious, dense, pop-over.

The kids loved it - especially the littlest one when he woke up from his nap, he ate the most.

Maybe I will make this whole breakfast idea a daily thing.  

Eh.  Maybe not.



Hop on over to these blogs where - if they are lucky - I'll share this :)     


4 comments:

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh my goodness this looks so delicious! I have never heard of a German pancake but this looks like a must try recipe!

KT said...

It's really yummy!

Emily said...

I have seen this recipe before. I Ireally have to try it. My oldest son MUST eat a protein rich breakfast or he will flip his biscuits (ask me how we found out *eyeroll*).

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I love it for the protein AND because it is SO easy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...