Widgets

Total. Elimination. Diet.

That's it.

So I have been breastfeeding for 4+ months now since my second son E was born.  About 2 months ago - he got screamy.  Really really screamy.  Like 12+ hours a day screamy.  He is gaining weight fine and is otherwise healthy - but it was clear that he was uncomfortable after eating.  After trying to solve it in other ways, ignoring it, a lot of swaddling and shushing - I decided it was time to step it up.  So I embarked on the Total Elimination Diet - which I have read about through AskDr.Sears.  After a life of cooking with every spice, garlic and onions, tomatoes and every meat you can imagine - my diet for at least two weeks is limited to the list above.  To complicate things - I am at my parents' house.  My parents are not great with dietary restrictions - they love to cook delicious foods and as you will note - everything on the list above is well... not so delicious.  

I can't lie.

I ate a turkey leg for breakfast yesterday.

You can only eat so much rice cereal with no milk and I was starving.

The result of this elimination is hopefully a happier baby and the identification of whatever was making him so miserable.  Since the start of the diet - he has been much better.  After a couple of weeks of just the foods above - you can add foods (one at a time) back into your diet - one every 4 days.

So I am not giving up on yummy food even on the diet - so here is a Total Elimination Shish Kebab recipe - made with homegrown organic zucchini from my garden and local farmers' market pears.



Rice
1 cup of organic brown rice
2 cups of turkey stock - flavored only with turkey drippings and salt and pepper

Prepare according to package instructions.

Zucchini
Cut 1 large zucchini in large thin strips
Season with salt and pepper

Grill until crisp

Shish Kebab
1 lb lamb - our cut was from a leg of lamb - all the fat was removed and it was cut into 1 inch chunks
3 pears cut into cubes
1 cup of organic pear juice

Marinate lamb in salt, pepper, and pear juice.  Put chunks of lamb and pear onto skewers alternating pears and lamb.  Grill to desired doneness. 

It actually was prety good... everyone else was eating pizza - homemade - but other than that... it will do! 


I will upate the success of the diet after I have been on it longer.  Has anyone else had experience with this diet?  Link me to some of your favorite recipes.

Linked up to:  Couponing and Cooking, Mom's Test Kitchen, Live Laugh Rowe, Frugal Days, Cooking My Way Through CSA, Gastronomical Sovereignty , Homestead Simple

11 comments:

Kaylee said...

My husband has been wanting to try an elimination diet to try and sort out some possible allergies/sensitivities. Thanks for the info and Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday! Can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow night!

Kaylee
www.couponingncooking.com

Kristy Lynn said...

lamb and pear kababs?! i am so excited right now!! i would have never thought to "pear" the two together... sorry i'm such a loser... but this has me stoked! while I've never been on that diet, i'd be more than stoked to eat this for dinner :) and zucchini is by far, one of my most favorite summer veg. can i come over please?

thank you for taking the time to share with us at The Wednesday Fresh Foods Blog Hop - we hope to see you again this week with more incredible posts! xo, kristy

KT said...

Haha - I am glad someone is excited about this meal :) if I weren't on this diet I would probably marinate the lamb in some balsamic vinegar, thyme, lemon juice, and add some spices :) in addition to the salt, pepper, and pear juice I used... Good luck! Hope it turns out well!!

Naptime Review said...

That meal looks good...The diet looks interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Stopping by from Thee Networking Blog Hop! Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can. I am hosting Mom's Monday Mingle tonight. Love for you to stop by and link up!

www.thenaptimereview.com

Quinn said...

My 6 week old LO is very colicky and I decided to start trying this elimination diet (thank you so much for your post btw, very informative!) but I was wondering, did you take any supplements? Like calcium or vitamin d? Thank you so much!

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

How is it working??? Good for you for giving it a go- I know it's not easy. Now if I was lying, trying to sound like a better mom than I am... I would tell you that yes, of course I was taking my prenatal vitamin like every good nursing and preggo mama should... If I am being honest... no, I hate prenatals, they make me gag and make it hard to poop and make my tummy hurt. So in short - no I wasn't - but you should :)

Quinn said...

Thank you so much and thank you for the fast reply! Well I would love to say that it is better but it is only day 2 for me and there is very little change in her. You did mention that it was the third day that you seen improvement though right?
I am finding my coffee the hardest to give up (mostly because we are up most of the night LOL) but even though it is hard, it is doable because I hate seeing her in SO much pain! I am SO grateful for you posting all this, it is nice knowing that I am not alone and I would much rather do this diet and get her relief asap then try to slowly weed out foods and see if that helps and just keep her in pain longer :-(

KT @ OneOrganicMama said...

I think the third day I started to see result - but I know it can take up to two weeks (for dairy I think) to get most stuff out of your system - sometimes longer. I am a HUGE coffee addict (hey there are worse addictions right?) - and it was really really hard. I started drinking lots of pear juice mixed with plan seltzer... like a spritzer haha. Dr. Sears website and facebook page was a great resource (I asked a question on the FB page and they got back to me in less than a day). I am hopeful things get better soon!!! Enjoy a turkey leg and a spritzer <3

DietReviews said...

I found your blog when I was looking for a different kin of information but I was very happy and glad to read through your blog. The information available here is great.
I have some relevant information you can review below
Buy Garcinia Total Diet
Garcinia Total Diet Reviews

SPW said...

Is there an update on how baby did? Did baby ever have a diagnosis of allergies or sensitivities? Did baby outgrow them?

vabna islam said...

Excellent post!!! I have learnt many things form here. I have also website where you can visit and pass your pleasure time. In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. To get more information, visit here……………
diets that work

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...